Why is there no iphone 4/4S apps to calibrate computer monitors ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vigorblade, Feb 14, 2012.

1. vigorblade macrumors member

I currently have an iphone 4S. Why are there no iphone apps for calibrating pc monitors ? Are there some technical reasons why the camera on the iphone could not be used with software for calibration of a pc monitor ? Something that would work similar to spyder3: http://spyder.datacolor.com

This is something that i'm sure someone has thought about and have been discussed, but I could not find any information on the subject.

It may be a silly question, but don't I know enough about the subject. Give me your thoughts guys and Gals.

2. h00ligan macrumors 68030

3. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Maybe it's time for you to learn how to create apps and make one.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

5. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I want you to go and read some white papers on how colorimeters work. They're different technology than cmos sensors. You'd have a lot of readings, and you would require a method of setting up control targets within appropriate tolerances. You'd also need apps on both the iphone and the computer as you'd require some method of generating appropriate patches to be measured. That's the long answer. The short answer is that such a thing is not feasible to any meaningful degree of accuracy especially within reasonable development costs. Last.... the spyder3... really? Has Datacolor ever produced a device that gave consistent readings?

6. psonice macrumors 6502a

I guess a very basic calibration tool would be possible, if it was possible to lock the camera's exposure, ISO, and white balance to specific values. Unfortunately it isn't, so you'd get different results each time.

7. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

How would you calibrate the iPhone? It would need to be calibrated too! I do not think the iPhone's camera is precise enough to do so and screen color temps are all over the place.

Less than $100 you can buy a tool to do it right!