Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wallabe

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 15, 2015
I know this has been asked frequently. It's obvious Apple is trying to sell more of their "new" MacBooks.

I've been waiting for a MBAr since the 2013 update but it never came. I was searching and found this. It seems like Apple or their drones is really trying to aggressively brush it off or dismiss it, telling people to send a "Feedback", like Apple is completely oblivious about it. I'm sure Apple knows what is going on. Willful ignorance is being played here. I'm certain Apple employees at their HQ are disguising as typical users, or at least they are monitoring but aren't willing to reply.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6869101?start=0&tstart=0

I think Apple has run out of new features and is just releasing new updates with useless features. Force Touch? The old one was just fine, it felt no different. Just put in a retina already. But at this point, it feels like vaporware. Even if Apple did come out with MBAr next year, it's basically 5 years old already. It should have been in it long ago, and they're just sitting on it. Everything else has retina, why the hold up?

Even the iMac has 5K.

Last edited:

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
I know this has been asked frequently. It's obvious Apple is trying to sell more of their "new" MacBooks.

I've been waiting for a MBAr since the 2013 update but it never came. I was searching and found this. It seems like Apple or their drones is really trying to aggressively brush it off or dismiss it, telling people to send a "Feedback", like Apple is completely oblivious about it. I'm sure Apple knows what is going on. Willful ignorance is being played here. I'm certain Apple employees at their HQ are disguising as typical users, or at least they are monitoring but aren't willing to reply.

I think Apple has run out of new features and is just releasing new updates with useless features. Force Touch? The old one was just fine, it felt no different. Just put in a retina already. But at this point, it feels like vaporware. Even if Apple did come out with MBAr next year, it's basically 5 years old already. It should have been in it long ago, and they're just sitting on it. Everything else has retina, why the hold up?

Even the iMac has 5K.

They essentially already have.

The 11" retina MBA is the new MacBook. Basically the same form factor.

The 13" retina MBA is the 13" MBP. Again, basically the same form factor. Slightly thicker and heavier, but smaller footprint.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
TBH I'm waiting for them to discontinue the MBA completely. People who want a really thin laptop will get the MacBook, people who need more power will get the MBP. It's gonna be a few years yet, at least until the MBr comes down in price, but I see it happening.

At least then it will finally return to 'MacBook' and 'MacBook Pro'. Having the 'MacBook Air' and 'MacBook Pro' was a bit weird IMO.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
I just bought an early 2015 MBA. I compared it to The MBr but liked the MBA and bought the maxed out machine. To me, the screen is fine. The single port on the MBr turned me off. For security i use a usb 3.0 flash drive with my personal info on it, and it stays unplugged till needed. My identity has been stolen in the past. I need 2 ports. Pricing was about the same given the options selected on the MBA so yeah, i think the MBr is the new retina MBA.

Reactions: Mr. Retrofire

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
TBH I'm waiting for them to discontinue the MBA completely. People who want a really thin laptop will get the MacBook, people who need more power will get the MBP. It's gonna be a few years yet, at least until the MBr comes down in price, but I see it happening.

At least then it will finally return to 'MacBook' and 'MacBook Pro'. Having the 'MacBook Air' and 'MacBook Pro' was a bit weird IMO.

I think by next fall (2016) the MBA will only be available in the refurb section of the store.

Reactions: sracer and Yakibomb

Wallabe

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 15, 2015
I just hate the idea of needing an adapter for everything. Got a USB flash drive? You need an adapter. Got an SD card? You need another adapter. Unless everyone else switches to USB-C drives, and adapters are cheaper and more available, this will take a while to become popular.

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
I think by next fall (2016) the MBA will only be available in the refurb section of the store.

The classic MBP has been on life support for a few years now. I assume the MBA will hang on for about as long.

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
I just hate the idea of needing an adapter for everything. Got a USB flash drive? You need an adapter. Got an SD card? You need another adapter. Unless everyone else switches to USB-C drives, and adapters are cheaper and more available, this will take a while to become popular.

Uh, everyone will be switching to USB-C, soon.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA

Even the iMac has 5K.
It's only a matter of time before the Air is replaced by the rMB. The rMB is meant to improve on the Air in many ways, so from their respective it wouldn't make sense to give the Air a Retina display as well.

Plus there's the effort that it would take to put a Retina display on the Air, as well as the possibility of decreased battery life.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
The new MacBook is the replacement for the Air. The Air is staying around until costs come down for the MacBook. Apple has done similar for several of their lines, or are in the process of doing so. In this case it is not quite such a direct replacement, so has a different name.

Wallabe

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 15, 2015
How difficult is it to put in a retina? And instead of a magsafe, put in a USB-C. That way, you can get a thin laptop with port options. The user can have both USB 3 and C. The current MBA even has better graphics. Intel 6000 vs 5300.

I'm annoyed because in 2013, I had the money ready to buy a MBA with retina, but it didn't come. I told myself maybe Apple rather have more battery life than retina, so I'll wait for a 2014 MBAr, but here we are, mid 2015, and nothing. The excitement and anticipation has been lost.

Last edited:

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
How difficult is it to put in a retina? And instead of a magsafe, put in a USB-C. That way, you can get a thin laptop with port options. The user can have both USB 3 and C. The current MBA even has better graphics. Intel 6000 vs 5300.

I'm annoyed because in 2013, I had the money ready to buy a MBA with retina, but it didn't come. I told myself maybe Apple rather have more battery life than retina, so I'll wait for a 2014 MBAr, but here we are, mid 2015, and nothing. The excitement and anticipation has been lost.

It probably isn't very hard, but it's not Apple's plan.

Apple devoted a lot of time, effort, and resources to making the new MacBook. That's their new thing and of course they will be focusing on it.

It makes no sense for them to put the time, effort, and resources into a product they've essentially obsoleted to bring it closer to their new product... that sort of competition would just confuse the product line and distract focus from their new product that they want to focus on.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
It's only a matter of time before the Air is replaced by the rMB. The rMB is meant to improve on the Air in many ways, so from their respective it wouldn't make sense to give the Air a Retina display as well.

Plus there's the effort that it would take to put a Retina display on the Air, as well as the possibility of decreased battery life.

Its not much of an improvement. Its going backwards to the original Air from 2008. Sure it has a retina display, but the MBA could have had a retina display.

The MBA is a great general purpose laptop, where as the MBr is a great ultra ultra thin laptop. Why not keep both around and give people some choice.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia

Apple devoted a lot of time, effort, and resources to making the new MacBook. That's their new thing and of course they will be focusing on it.

It makes no sense for them to put the time, effort, and resources into a product they've essentially obsoleted to bring it closer to their new product... that sort of competition would just confuse the product line and distract focus from their new product that they want to focus on.

Apple offers choice with its iOS devices, so why not with the MacBooks?

Choice is never a bad thing for consumers.

Not to mention the fact that the MBr and MBA are very different laptops. They're for different users.

Wallabe

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 15, 2015
I just want a MBPr but in the same thin design as the MBA. Apple can't deliver.

I may just take the jump, after the second revision, when USB-C devices have matured and the MB gets a performance upgrade. I still hate adapters. It's just extra costs and junk to carry around.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia

I may just take the jump towards the new MB, but I still hate adapters.

I know its impossible but I'd love to be able to 'build your own macbook'. I'd take a Non Retina Macbook Pro, add a Retina display, a fusion drive and Haswell and I'd be very satisfied. Even just Haswell would do me.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden

That's really it. Apple looked at upgrading the MBA and decided that they'd rather start with a blank piece of paper than invest in an existing platform. No one should be looking for any significant future updates for the MBA.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden

I may just take the jump, after the second revision, when USB-C devices have matured and the MB gets a performance upgrade. I still hate adapters. It's just extra costs and junk to carry around.
USB C may become prevalent faster than we think. I notice that the just-announced Sandisk external SSD is USB C.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
It's the same answer to all of you really, if apple doesn't make what you want buy something else, there are plenty of computer makers making plenty of different options for pity's sake stop moaning and vote with your wallet.

Reactions: motrek

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
It's the same answer to all of you really, if apple doesn't make what you want buy something else, there are plenty of computer makers making plenty of different options for pity's sake stop moaning and vote with your wallet.
Problem is no one else does make what many want. Where can you find an equivalent of the non retina Macbook Pro running OS X - Nowhere.

Really if nobody complains nothing changes, I guess Macrumours makes no difference to what Apple does, but its not right to accept everything Apple does. Apple will end up like they did in the mid 90s if they continue down the road of thinking nothing they do is wrong.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
That's really it. Apple looked at upgrading the MBA and decided that they'd rather start with a blank piece of paper than invest in an existing platform. No one should be looking for any significant future updates for the MBA.

Its a shame they couldn't have built a proper successor to the Macbook Air. Sure this new thing is a successor to the original Macbook Air - limited, underpowered etc, but the current Air is a capable and multipurpose machine.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
Problem is no one else does make what many want. Where can you find an equivalent of the non retina Macbook Pro running OS X - Nowhere.

Really if nobody complains nothing changes, I guess Macrumours makes no difference to what Apple does, but its not right to accept everything Apple does. Apple will end up like they did in the mid 90s if they continue down the road of thinking nothing they do is wrong.

Was the problem that Apple had too many product lines? And was the first thing Steve Jobs changed on his return?

The MBA is stuck between the rMB that is thinner and has less power, and the rMBP that has more power and is a bit thicker. Is it really a big enough gap between the other models?

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013

OSX is the same, it's just an operating system all the others will do the same job, apple have no reason to listen to anyone they are the richest company in the world and the majority of users love their products, basically they are getting everything right and a few moans from a few tech geeks on here means nothing to them.

It IS right to accept what apple does, you do it for everyone elses products and buy what is suitable the same applies here. The fact that that means you have to compromise on hardware or software is just the way the world is, it's the same when you buy a car or a house.... You rarely find what is perfect for you and then you compromise to get the features you really want deal with it thats life...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.