Why is there no update notification on the app store icon

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mrjayd, Jun 23, 2010.

1. mrjayd macrumors regular

unless you go into the app store itself? It should show you when you have updates available without having to go in and check ourselves. Just like mail and messages.

2. AbjectEvolution macrumors 6502

This happened on my 3GS. I always wondered this as well.

3. magga macrumors regular

I've always wondered this too and would be interested to know why this hasn't been implemented.

4. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Must be an issue w/ your phone. Mine has a big "8" on the right hand corner of the folder it is in.

5. Kyeris macrumors 6502

I've had push update notifications since my 3G, although the last few days (maybe because of all the apps being rushed through for updates to iOS4) they haven't been working quite the same.

6. Shaddow825 macrumors 6502

I swear at the very beginning, at least the first few weeks of the app store it would update without running it, but it's been a LONG time since its done that for me

7. AbjectEvolution macrumors 6502

Well like I said, on my 3GS I always had to open the app store in order for it to realize I had updates. I seem to remember at one point in the past, maybe with my 3G, that it pushed the notification to the icon without me opening the app.

8. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

It's never done it on my 3G.

I've heard some people claim that it did for them, but I've never seen it.

9. CJayC macrumors 6502

This is ****ing normal. Otherwise you'd have the app automatically fetching data every [set amount of time] and you'd have worse battery life.

10. pmz macrumors 68000

Because it does do it, randomly, once in a while. I'm completely serious.

There is no reason why the App Store does not push update notifications to users, and there is even LESS reason why it should do it occasionally, but mostly not.

11. stevearm macrumors 6502a

What should be implemented in OS 5 is a blue notification badge on every app, to let you know there's an update available, pushed to your phone. Obviously with the ability to turn it off.

12. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Push is not fetch.

13. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

So Apple is supposed to push notifications each time an app you own is updated? I've never heard this.

In my experience, if you open the App Store, if it find updates and you don't apply them before closing the app, you will get the badge showing how many apps are ready to update.

14. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

They're not 'supposed' to. I'm just saying, it could be done.

Obviously it would take resources they're not interested in devoting. So they're not doing it. I'm not blaming them, just explaining it.

15. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

I assume since iTunes already does this, there's really no need to do it on the phone. Waste of development resources.

16. mrjayd thread starter macrumors regular

But what good is that. I don't want to open the app store every time just to find out if I have updates. It should tell me when to open because i HAVE updates.

17. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

That's what iTunes is for. It notifies you when you have updates.

18. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

If people were to use iTunes to check for updated apps, they could simply open the App Store application and check.

19. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

No it doesn't. You have to click the little button at the bottom of the page to force it to check.

If you never did that it would never tell you anything.

20. AbjectEvolution macrumors 6502

My iTunes has never notified me when I have an app update.

21. mrjayd thread starter macrumors regular

Some of you are missing the point of my initial thread here. I am not talking iTunes here. I am just saying we have a home screen on our phone right? We get notification bubbles on our mail, message, and calendar icons so I am just saying we should get one too on our App Store icon WITHOUT have to go into it and check. It can be done so I am just wondering why isn't it. It's stupid that I have to go into it and see that i have updates waiting.

22. noez92 macrumors newbie

sadly i have same issue here, with ios 7, there is no fix?

23. Sital macrumors 68000

Sital

Go to Settings > iTunes & App Store, under "Automatic Downloads" do you have Updates on? If so, this might be the problem since there wouldn't be a need for the badge icon if it's always updating automatically. Try turning it off and see if that works.

24. old-wiz macrumors G3

Strange..my iPhone 4S shows number of updates as a bubble on the app store icon. it is running ios 7 and has done this since I purchased it. I always know when there's an app to update. I don't use the auto update function though as I always update via iTunes so as to only have to download once since I have an iPad as well as an iPhone.