Why is there so few aftermarket parts for cooling?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by e91a, Aug 21, 2014.

1. e91a macrumors newbie

Hey.

I own a macbook pro from 2009, which i been trying to bring down the fan noise/heat down on. I've been trying to look for less noisy after market fans and aftermarket cpu/gpu heatsinks/coolers.

I've changed my thermal, that's not the issue. Im just wondering why there is not a bigger market for things like this if u compare with all the outside exterior things that exist.

Have people tried and apple put the best ever possible solutions already? Do anybody have any knowledge of this?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I think basically there just aren't after market parts in the sense you're talking about. I don't recall the noise of the fans on that machine but I don't recall them being as loud as say my PowerBook G4. Those were fairly loud. I never thought to look for another fan because my thought was that the fan ran fine and a bigger one would not fit in the case.

I thought there was something like a notebook cooler called Cool Pad or something. Maybe check into that.

3. paolo- macrumors 6502a

I'm guessing Apple puts pretty good quality fans in their computer. The market for people who are ready to pry open their machine to get a very slight reduction in noise is probably very small.

4. leman macrumors 604

I think its because people generally don't like the idea of their warranty being voided. Also, the proportion of mac users that would actually want to open and tinker with their machine is very small. A business like that probably won't be profitable.

5. mcnallym macrumors 6502a

There seems to be very little aftermarket internal laptop cooling replacement parts period, not just limited to apple

Probably this is because the different vendors have different fans, space available etc, custom boards for different vendors,.

With the Custom PC builders then plenty of space in the case etc, the heatsink mounting is clearly defined so can design something that will fit into most Desktop/Tower Cases.

6. e91a thread starter macrumors newbie

In the notebook PC market i can understand since everything is so diffrent. But with macbooks they are like a car, they change a few things in a series and once in a while they do a big update, but most parts are able to fit together.

And since macbooks are so well-build it's even more sad since you could upgrade your old machines even more to work good after 3-5 years.

7. happyfrappy macrumors 6502

If you want to complain about Apple cooling/noise, own an Aluminum PowerBook G4 they were scorching hot enough to cook an egg on the underside and the fans would run full tilt for Photoshop/Illustrator/Graphic Converter batch tasks.

Intel era of Apple portables aren't as toasty and less noise in comparison. There are 3rd party sources which resell Apple parts but you'll never see aftermarket solutions as Apple R&D like Lenovo's Thinkpads are the most optimal to the design. Heat wise the aluminum case acts like a giant heatsink so a cooling pad would help lift it further off the table and the forced airflow to the bottom will help reduce the amount of internal fan revving.

...considering my 2004 12" PowerBook G4 is still running perfectly and nearing its 10th birthday in Sept, I don't even bother questioning Apple's R&D/engineering. (my dads' first notebook a HP DM4 from 2011 fell apart the following year due to bad hinges/overheating to the point HDDs cooked to death)