Why is there still no built-in cellular data card?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by daftna, Nov 1, 2007.

1. daftna macrumors newbie

Apple and Cingular/ATT are now friends.

I want to see a built-in Dataconnect card! Why is this not an option yet?

2. CashGap macrumors 6502

CashGap

Demand is probably fringe, and Apple doesn't have a "true" build to order process... it's more like "package to order".

That said, bluetooth tethering to a capable phone or blackberry works great and doesn't require space in the laptop nor building in something that will be obsolete fast.

3. daftna thread starter macrumors newbie

Seems silly to me to not include it still. on my powerbook i can remove the battery and take out my airport card. I heard somewhere that there was a little free space in macbooks.

In terms of portability you simply can't beat a built-in, always on cellular data connection. I'm busy! i don't want to worry if my phone is in the same room. I don't want to worry about making a call while i'm connected. I've tried the cingular/att connection and the difference between that and time warner cable in nyc is small enough for me to want to completely switch over.

note to apple: i will buy a macbook as soon as this is available and not a day sooner.

4. sportsnut macrumors regular

Because a built in card with ATT or any one carrier is a headache that Apple does not need. (iphone anyone)

Besides my wireless usb modem which will work with desktops and laptops kicks any built-in dataconnect cards booty:cool:

5. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I think it'll be quite awhile till you get that Macbook, then.