Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Canadia69

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2016
this question has probably already been asked before (if it has, please redirect me) but why are we missing so many important iPad apps? Why don’t we have iPad apps for Instagram, Snapchat, whatsapp?

It kinds of sucks when I get a message on whatsapp...and I have to let go of my iPad and answer on whatsapp...especially considering whatsapp as a mac app...

I guess it’s a little more understandable on Snapchat, because what to do with all the extra real estate...but still...

I really wish all apps had an iPad optimized version, i would use my iPad a lot more..and I’m sure more people would by iPads...

What’s apples resoning?

Also why are there still so many apps that don’t support picture in picture? Like YouTube..or Netflix, or so many other...so annoying

Ps. Sorry for the bad English.

Last edited:

Toucanet

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2013
this question has probably already been asked before (if it has, please redirect me) but why are we missing so many important iPad apps? Why don’t we have iPad apps for Instagram, Snapchat, whatsapp?

It kinds of sucks when I get a message on whatsapp...and I have to let go of my iPad and answer on whatsapp...especially considering whatsapp as a mac app...

I guess it’s a little more understandable on Snapchat, because what to do with all the extra real estate...but still...

I really wish all apps had an iPad optimized version, i would use my iPad a lot more..and I’m sure more people would by iPads...

What’s apples resoning?

Also why are there still so many apps that don’t support picture in picture? Like YouTube..or Netflix, or so many other...so annoying

Ps. Sorry for the bad English.
Is Google earth optimized for the 10.5"?

ajf.350d

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2010
Worcestershire, UK
It is annoying, but I think the reasoning from the developers, is that those apps in particular are primarily 'mobile' apps where the use base most likely uses a mobile phone.
If they find only a small percentage actually use a tablet then it probably isn't worth the developer spending the extra time on an optimized version.

I don't think any of this though is down to Apple directly.

What I would like to see is a few more apps fully optimized for the 12.9 Pro. Not a programmer, but I would have thought if there is already a general iPad app, it shouldn't be much of a stretch to have some code that enables better handling of the larger screen/resolution? It's not a complete interface change surely?
Thinking of how many websites resize themselves in low and high resolution monitors for example?

bnmcj1

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2014
Tablets are generally pretty dead, unless its an iPad (which somehow is still alive). It means that there are no real competition from MS side or Android, which then makes tablets unattractive for developers.

For that reason and countless other reasons, I have ditched iPad and use a phone + laptop combo again myself.

Reactions: ShaunAFC3

Enygmatic

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2015
Various
“...so little optimized apps...?”

There are millions of optimized apps for iPad - you listed 3 that aren’t... 3 that are social media apps geared at mobility and photography. And, let’s face it, phones.

Snapchat is pretty self-explanatory.

WhatsApp - I don’t use it, but could see them doing a universal app at some point. I believe there was even some discussion around here about this being in the works some time ago.

Instagram is like Snapchat - geared for phones. Incidentally, you can log in via Safari, and add to your Homescreen. They’ve optimized the web version so you can even take and upload photos through it. Voila!! iPad Instagram - and MUCH easier on the eyes than the 2x phone version.

Last edited:

CrystalQuest76

Suspended
Dec 14, 2015
West Cost A Lot
Tablets are generally pretty dead, unless its an iPad (which somehow is still alive). It means that there are no real competition from MS side or Android, which then makes tablets unattractive for developers.
I don't know about absolute numbers, but I see people on the bus, around the office, and at school using lots of different tablets all the time. Just since you don't see them does not mean they are not out there.

Eric5273

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2009
New Jersey
I wish you could run iPhone apps on the iPad in landscape mode, and you could do slide-over multi-tasking. That would solve this issue for me. The problem is that I use my iPad in landscape 99% of the time, and when I try using an iPhone app, they only seem to render in portrait mode.

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
I don't know about absolute numbers, but I see people on the bus, around the office, and at school using lots of different tablets all the time. Just since you don't see them does not mean they are not out there.

Lot's of people have tablets, it's just that there is little reason for the average consumer pay another $600 for a new tablet when the current one they have handles web surfing and media consumption on their couch just fine.

Also, iPad has the most amount of tablet-optimized apps on the planet; trying going to the windows or Android camp then complain about the lack of tablet apps.

Reactions: ShaunAFC3
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.