Why is this a hidden feature?!?!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SiliconAddict, Oct 21, 2007.

1. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

So I've been browsing around a few various tip sites for Mail and I ran across the fact that you can rebuild your mail dbase. For the heck of it a did a search on rebuilding iPhoto. Sure enough I found out that if you hold down :apple: + option during iPhoto startup you get a bunch of options for repairing the iPhoto Library. I did this and OMG. Its like something just forced iPhoto to chug about 30 cans of Jolt and kicked it in the butt HARD. Teh snappy has returned to iPhoto. I'm going to do this for my other libraries but for the life of me why doesn't Apple have this documented in either their help files or simply an option under help -> Repair or something. As much as I like OS X and its iLife packages the design choices made by Apple can really be....frustrating. From time to time.

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Wow thanks! I wonder how long this newfound speed will last...

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

4. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

This explains why when I upgraded to iPhoto 08 it loaded a lot faster than iPhoto 06. It's nice to know I can do this whenever it starts slowing down. Thanks for the tip!

5. SiliconAddict thread starter macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

That is exactly where google led me when I started searching. However this small tidbit of info is NOT in iPhoto's built in documentation. Again...why?

6. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

You have no idea about the number of really cool features Apple has included in their software over the years and then for some stupid reason either forgot to document it or just didn't bother to make it obvious. Still it is always cool when you find them.

7. CavemanUK macrumors 6502

CavemanUK

Why the hell isnt this menu in an Advance Preferences pane?? Sometimes Apple outsmart themselves and do something really dumb.

8. skybolt macrumors 6502a

I had to do a manual rebuild because I had been stupid and mucked about in my library in finder (even though I KNEW better!), and want you to know that when apple says, in that article under Manual Rebuild ". . . and it may introduce duplicates into the iPhoto library. " it MEANS it! I ended up with a minimum of 4 of most photos, and duplicates of others! I got back what I wanted, but had to clean the mess up! I had to look at each photo or group of multiples and see which photo was the largest and delete the smaller ones. It was a labor of love, though, as I managed to salvage all and now all is well. Luckily, the library was a small subset of a much larger library -- only the last two year's worth of photos.

Good luck!:)

9. jamesarm97 macrumors 65816

I have the same problem and have been trying to figure out how to fix it. My photos go back to 1998 and there is no easy way to find the duplicates / correct ones. I imported a bunch of photo directories from a dying windows drive and had some web galleries and ended up with a large photo, medium size and small thumbnail. My iPhoto is a mess. Does anyone know if the database rebuilt will remove bad links if I delete the thumbnails directly (using find with size option)?

- James

10. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Very cool. I'm rebuilding now.

What's the command to rebuild the Mail database?

11. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

Is this rebuild a feature of 08 only or does it exist on 06 as well? I'm away from my PB right now or I would have tried it myself...

12. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

13. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I just rebuilt in 06. It does seem snappier™

14. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

The KB article linked above gives the commands for all iPhoto versions.

iPhoto 4.0.3 and earlier: Cmd + Shift
    iPhoto 5.0 and later: Cmd + Option

15. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

Thanks much! Looking forward to snaplicinous iPhoto!

16. SiliconAddict thread starter macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

17. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

doin g it right now hope this helps with all thos ecrazy duplicate di ve got i dont htink it will, i dont thin kits supposed to anyways...

18. Zawamura macrumors regular