Why is this always happening to me...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hitrate, May 24, 2013.

  1. Hitrate macrumors regular

    Hitrate

    Joined:
    Mar 25, 2009
    Location:
    Copenhagen
    #1
    I've had my logic board replaced two (!) times on my 2011 15" mbp, latest OSX, I STILL have issues, mainley with the kernel_task getting up in the higher registers, whilst using modest amounts of tracks and effects in my sequencer (see screenshot).

    I'm at a loss here, can't find any helpful info on specifically the high kernel_task cpu use online, and this has been a recurring issue the last couple years...Anyone know what's up? I'm not even sure I wanna upgrade to the retina after not having had a reliable mac for years.
     

    Attached Files:

  2. duervo macrumors 68000

    duervo

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2011
    #2
    Uninstall anything that has a 3rd-Party kernel extension associated with it. I believe that Little Snitch may be one, after a brief glance at your screenshot.

    My money is on one of those affecting your kernel_task CPU usage.

    Uninstall them one at a time, until you notice things getting back to normal. At that point, you should have a better idea of what's causing it.
     
  3. Hitrate thread starter macrumors regular

    Hitrate

    Joined:
    Mar 25, 2009
    Location:
    Copenhagen
    #3
    Wow, that's the most useful advice yet! Any way of easily checking what apps I got, that have 3rd party kernel extensions?

    Thanks I'm advance :)
     
  4. duervo macrumors 68000

    duervo

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2011
    #4
    Running this in a terminal window will list all of the 3rd-Party (i.e.: non-Apple) extensions running on your system:

    Code:
    kextstat | grep -v com.apple
    If it turns out that a 3rd-Party kernel extension is the cause, then check to see if the one causing the problem has any updates available for it.
     
  5. Hitrate thread starter macrumors regular

    Hitrate

    Joined:
    Mar 25, 2009
    Location:
    Copenhagen
    #5
    Thanks !!!

    This is what I've got it down to now (think it might have been the Airfoil extensions, but deleted and updated other ones too, still testing but so far it seems to behave better!)

    Dunno how to delete snowleopard paceap , cause I don't see it in the Extensions folder, I see PaceSupport files, but those I need for ilok...anway, perhaps the problem is fixed - if you don't hear from me, consider this a major success! :D

    Index Refs Address Size Wired Name (Version) <Linked Against>
    59 0 0xffffff7f80b40000 0x45000 0x45000 at.obdev.nke.LittleSnitch (3876) <7 5 4 3 1>
    112 0 0xffffff7f80a60000 0x82000 0x82000 com.motu.driver.FireWireAudio (1.6 54199) <111 41 33 28 7 6 5 4 3 1>
    132 0 0xffffff7f808a1000 0x3000 0x3000 com.paceap.kext.pacesupport.snowleopard (5.7.2) <7 5 4 3 1>
    140 0 0xffffff7f826eb000 0x17000 0x17000 com.tuxera.filesystems.tufsfs.fusefs_txantfs (2012.10.5) <7 5 4 3 1>
     

Share This Page