why is this external drive for windows only?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bob2131, Feb 23, 2009.

1. bob2131 macrumors 6502a

hi

this drive

it says windows or vista.......but no mention of mac........

would it be recognized by osx? probably have to reformat with disc utility?
    any other issues?

just need a drive to back up my macbook...wanna make a cloned bootable back up. black macbook so firewire 400 port & usb connection i want.

thanks.

2. Trip.Tucker Guest

Marketing bs. The drive will run just fine in a Mac. You have to format any new drive.

3. svndmvn Guest

probably because of the McAfee thing and some other software you'd have no use of.

4. bob2131 thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks guys...

so it would DEFINATELY STILL work with my new macbook?
    Just need to format it right?

Strange how they dont even mention mac compatibility.

But there is a specific seagate "mac" drive.....ready to work with from get go.

5. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

I have that drive. You have to reformat it as it comes as NTFS formatted.

The only odd thing about it is sometimes I have to plug it in, wait for the logo to light up then unplug it and plug it back in for the Mac to recognize it.

6. Agurri macrumors 6502

Agurri

I think they list the System Requirements for the application, and not the drive itself.

7. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Disk Utility / Repair disk.

Next time when you eject, wait 10 seconds before turning off the power.

8. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

I actually don't power the drive down. I just unplug the FW cable. I haven't tried it with USB as it is my TM drive and I hear that USB sucks ;).

9. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

Don't believe that every backup HDD will work with Mac OS X. Sometimes the firmware/chipset is set to only work in Windows. I don't know about this specific one, but there is a difference between many that say Mac compatible and some of them that do not. I'm not saying all, but there are no guarantees of compatibility if it doesn't say Mac compatible. Formatting doesn't always do the job.

10. old-wiz macrumors G3

Good point. It might have some strange firmware for encryption or windows utilities. Unless you're critical on money, why not look for a drive that says it works with Mac?

11. Tibbar macrumors member

Hard drives with a USB interface are almost universally compatible with any OS. A drive with Firewire may be compatible with Windows but not so reliable on the Mac. The Oxford 911 Firewire chipsets are compatible with Mac and PC. I'm guessing if Seagate has a separate Mac product, it's probably in regards to a different chipset, not necessarily the software bundled with it.

Most drives have at least USB, so you're good to go.

12. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

If you want some of the best externals with guaranteed compatibility you should go with Macsales but the shipping will be high to the UK. (Roughly $40). So yes but something else.