Why is this happening?! Re-install snow leopard?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Petenick3, May 24, 2010.

1. Petenick3 macrumors newbie

hey,

had my macbook for around 2 years, its spoilt rotten, has external screen, keyboard, magic mouse, the lot!

yet its not happy with me! whats wrong? heres the syptoms:
    -quicktime plays really jumpy (i mean unwatchable, frame a second) this also happens on VLC
    -youtube videos also do this
    -everything is really slow
    -has trouble connecting to our wireless router
    -(prob unrelated, and think its fan bearing) makes loud humming noise every so often.

any ideas what could cause this? its super annoying!

thinking im gonna have to wipe her and re-install snow leopard :(

any help would be great

Pete

2. kiwian macrumors newbie

What are the specs of the machine? Have you applied all updates? Was the snow leopard install an upgrade or an erase and install?

3. Petenick3 thread starter macrumors newbie

heres a screen shot with all the details, including temp up the top

[​IMG]

i updated to snow leopard rather than erase all, machine is fully updated, quicktime problem seems to be getting a little better but still not 100%...

4. makismagoo99 macrumors regular

makismagoo99

This may be a dumb question, but when was the last time you restarted the machine? I never shut mine down, and it was beginning to act funny. I finally realized that it hadn't been shut down at all in nearly a month. So I restarted it and it seems much snappier since...just my 2 cents.

5. Petenick3 thread starter macrumors newbie

restarted it about 5 times in the last 2 days in a hopeless effort to try and sort it out!

6. kiwian macrumors newbie

Does it do the same as a new user logged in or in safe mode?

7. DontMacTheGyver macrumors regular

DontMacTheGyver

My advice is to format your hard drive and reinstall everything... if you make a nice backup before, it's really not a tragedy...
    Take one afternoon time and you'll have a "brand new" MB...
    I just did it and it's awesome...
    You don't feel the slowdown over years but you'll definitely feel the speed bump after formating...!

8. Petenick3 thread starter macrumors newbie

think this is what im gonna have to do, shame its during exam period, waste of my time!! GRR :mad:

thats for the helps guys

9. Petenick3 thread starter macrumors newbie

okay right..

just re-installed snow leopard after wiping the hard drive, works like a dream again, very happy with the results :) all probs (except as mentioned below) sorted and the thing runs much faster now!

didnt get rid of the weird fan noise but i'll take that to a genius at some point..

10. revbarabbas macrumors regular

are you sure thats fan noise? that could be coming from the hard drive...and if it is then that would explain all of your symptoms, reinstalling would help it for a bit as when you formatted the hard drive it would have skipped bad sectors. I would check with Smart Reporter to make sure your drive isn't going bad and if it is and is still under warranty it can be replaced for free.

11. Petenick3 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've tested the hard drive and its fine (plus quite new) the noise is deff coming from the area just below the screen, fan area i believe... only happens at certain temps (round 57 - 69 degrees) odd ey?!