Why is this happening. This is a Windows problem

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by rmbrown09, Aug 12, 2010.

1. rmbrown09 macrumors 6502a

rmbrown09

I know this is a mac forum but... you guys are pretty smart.

here is a video of what's happening

http://s946.photobucket.com/albums/ad306/pilla99/?action=view&current=IMG_0061.mp4&newest=1

basically it won't boot from the disk, and I need to reinstall 7.

I have changed the boot order in the BIOS to set dvd to 1
    The disk is not damaged because I can open and explore the disk in windows. But I can't do a custom advanced install from inside windows.

so...

2. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Maybe even though you don't think the install media is damaged, maybe the boot part is. Also, you could not be selecting the Optical disk drive. try selecting the HD and see what it does.

3. RedReplicant macrumors 6502a

The DVD isn't bootable or is damaged, you can test this by going into the bios and setting the CD drive as the first boot device, removing the other devices from the bootlist, and disabling booting from other devices.

4. rmbrown09 thread starter macrumors 6502a

rmbrown09

Okay it's already #1 but i'll disable the other devices.

5. rmbrown09 thread starter macrumors 6502a

rmbrown09

well update, I guess the boot sector was damaged. Tossed the DVD into a different comp and it didn't boot either, but at least that one the BIOS told me the disk was damaged.

Luckily we have a USB with the image on it. And that makes it the last usable..... time to grab 30 USB's and make copies.

If I rip the iso from the damaged disk and reburn, is there a change it could work again.

6. RedReplicant macrumors 6502a

Nope, then you'd be creating a damaged image.

7. rmbrown09 thread starter macrumors 6502a

rmbrown09

but I could take the image from the USB and then burn another disk?

8. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Yes. and I read that if you use a complex advance DVD burning software, it may be able to copy the damaged media and fix it and burn it to a new disk.

9. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

Just out of curiousity, where did you get the Windows 7 from? I know that certain places, like Software4Students that sell Windows 7, don't provide a bootable DVD. You have to do the upgrade of Windows 7 from the OS you're booted in and it won't allow you to do a custom install. I had this happen to me when I tried to upgrade my dad's laptop. In the end, I just grabbed the upgrade disc of Windows 7 that was bootable and used that instead to perform a custom install.

10. rmbrown09 thread starter macrumors 6502a

rmbrown09

The disk as you see in the video, is a volume license disk, with 50 seats on it.

It is an upgrade volume license though, however we did upgrade from Vista. The USB method worked out so I am happy, but now we are having activation errors, DNS activation stuff... and this has been installed on 8 machines out of our 50 seat...

Calling MS later today.

11. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

Yea, I would never do an upgrade install, I did the upgrade install from Vista to 7 when it first launched, of course the issue is. 7 will carry over any problems Vista was experiencing, and lets face it. Vista was a black hole of suck. I know this doesn't help your damaged disk image, but go for a completely new install, I did when I decided to go 64-bit. All the issues that had begun to plague my system vanished, and it began to work flawlessly.

12. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

Aye, I recommend against doing an upgrade install of Windows or Mac. I always like to start from a clean slate when I get a new operating system.

13. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

And being that it is so easy to clean install, even from upgrade media, it makes even less sense to ever do an in=place upgrade.

http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/clean_install_upgrade_media.asp

B

14. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

That's the site that I recommend people with clean installs with upgrade media.

Plus, I find that it only takes about 20-30 minutes to install Windows 7 on my MacBook Pro, as opposed to 45-60 minutes for an inplace upgrade :)