Why is this HDD working with a Mac?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by deepakvrao, Mar 14, 2012.

1. deepakvrao macrumors regular

Just got a Seagate Goflex 1TB USB drive, and I was surprised that it shows in Finder AND that I can write to it. Info says that it is NTFS.

Is it because I had installed Paragon some time ago? I 'thought' that I had uninstalled it but not sure. How can I find out if Paragon is there on my Mac?

Would you guys recommend exFAT or Mac OS Ext formatting? Or should I leave it as NTFS [not keen as I do not want to load Paragon on all Macs in the house].

The 'Test' folder is what I wrote from my MBA.

Attached Files:

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes.
    That depends on what you plan to use the drive for.

Choose the appropriate format:

HFS+ (Hierarchical File System, a.k.a. Mac OS Extended (Journaled) Don't use case-sensitive)

NTFS (Windows NT File System)
    • Read/Write NTFS from native Windows.
    • Read only NTFS from native Mac OS X
      [*]To Read/Write/Format NTFS from Mac OS X, here are some alternatives:
      • For Mac OS X 10.4 or later (32 or 64-bit), install Paragon (approx $20) (Best Choice for Lion)
      • For 32-bit Mac OS X, install NTFS-3G for Mac OS X (free) (does not work in 64-bit mode)
      • For 64-bit Snow Leopard, read this: MacFUSE for 64-bit Snow Leopard
      • Some have reported problems using Tuxera (approx $36).
      • Native NTFS support can be enabled in Snow Leopard and Lion, but is not advisable, due to instability.
    • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support NTFS
    • Maximum file size: 16 TB
    • Maximum volume size: 256TB
    • You can use this format if you routinely share a drive with multiple Windows systems.

exFAT (FAT64)
    • Supported in Mac OS X only in 10.6.5 or later.
    • Not all Windows versions support exFAT. See disadvantages.
    • exFAT (Extended File Allocation Table)
    • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support exFAT
    • Maximum file size: 16 EiB
    • Maximum volume size: 64 ZiB
    • You can use this format if it is supported by all computers with which you intend to share the drive. See "disadvantages" for details.

FAT32 (File Allocation Table)
    • Read/Write FAT32 from both native Windows and native Mac OS X.
      [*]Maximum file size: 4GB.
    • Maximum volume size: 2TB
    • You can use this format if you share the drive between Mac OS X and Windows computers and have no files larger than 4GB.

3. deepakvrao thread starter macrumors regular

I think you had posted that before. Read it. I think I will stick to Mac OS Ext.

Thanks again.

4. kdog679 macrumors member

You probably could keep it in ntfs if you wanted. I know when I registered my goflex online (I think, may have come with the drive though) they had their own version of paragon that only works with that drive.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Again, it depends on what the drive will be used for. For example, it can't be in NTFS if the drive is going to be used for Time Machine backups or Carbon Copy Cloner bootable cloning.

6. deepakvrao thread starter macrumors regular

OK, formatted to Mac OS Ext, partitioned to 300/700GB. Made the 300GB partition for Time Machine, and used CCC to transfer my old back ups from my old 16GB HDD to the new drive. Using the 700 for my music, pictures etc.

Thanks guys.