Why is this overlooked?????

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by msmyth, Jun 10, 2009.

1. msmyth macrumors member

Have had 3.0 since beta and love the new features, but why oh why hasnt apple updated the default sounds for the phone?

I can understand ringtones, as they wanna sell them via itunes, but what about sms notification?

Other phones can use mp3's or have dozens of sounds to choose from. A minor thing yes but it would have been easy to add a few new ones surely??:cool:

2. harry20larry macrumors 6502a

harry20larry

It would be nice, especially as the ones they use right now are so clumsey
    Remember its apple, they will take design over function any day of the year

3. gibbz macrumors 68030

You can make these for free with Garageband or from here

4. Pattycerts macrumors 6502

I guess people haven't complained enough for them to do something about it. I'd like this functionality also, and it is certainly something I was able to do for years before this phone came out.

5. msmyth thread starter macrumors member

Thanks gibbz ;)

6. DavieBoy macrumors 6502

DavieBoy

You might not know how right you are.

I deal with a lot of doctors who still use pagers. They all want a different and louder sound so that they could get rid of the beeper.

Hey, maybe with push that has custom sounds someone can make an app that replaces a doctors pager. An idea since apple is pushing the iPhone as a medical tool.

7. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

I will admit I would like a few more SMS sounds. Also the keypad sound is a bit sharp/harsh, a softer one would be better because I like the audio feedback when typing but the snapping sound it makes isn't that pretty.

8. gibbz macrumors 68030

This is fud. Wouldn't the fact that they have a text message notifier with sound indicate that the phone functions. This would seem to show Apple has chosen function over form in this case.

One of Apple's strongest points has been its function coupled with no sacrifice in design.

No prob. Even though I have Garageband, I use that website because it is so convenient. I just found out about it a few months ago.

I agree with your post that Apple should allow more freedom in the user's experience.

9. BulkHedd macrumors 6502

BulkHedd

As much as I love my iPhone I just don't understand Apple's reasons for not giving us options like adding our own sounds for the SMS tone or the voice-mail tone.

People are always shocked to find out that I am unable to do something like that with such a cool phone. As well as finding out I can't send or receive images or sounds via Bluetooth.

10. msmyth thread starter macrumors member

Exactly.

The more major points that were raised when the iPhone was first released (MMS, Push etc) have now been rectified after users complained, are we gonna have to moan and cry to have any more sensible functions added to the phone?

11. BulkHedd macrumors 6502

BulkHedd

No sacrifice? Frankly I found the recessed headphone jack on the original iPhone to be an example of function being sacrificed for the sake of design.

12. harry20larry macrumors 6502a

harry20larry

Sorry, I didn't explain myself clearly. Of course there is sound, that is a given. But compared to most other manufacturers like SE or Nokia, changing the SMS sound is a given, it because there is no file manager on the iphone which makes this not possible

13. DravenGSX macrumors 6502a

This is the only reason so far that I want to jailbreak 3.0. I receive work related SMS messages that I have to respond to. The clown car horn does very little to wake somebody up in the middle of the night.