Why is this so complex? How much for 2 iPhones on one family plan?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Trix, Jul 14, 2009.

1. Trix macrumors member

Trix

Its easy to see all the prices for individual iPhone lines but I cant figure out how to properly set up a family plan with iPhones. They offer 60$ for 550 minutes, but is that for the iPhone?

I want to know how much the monthly cost will be for 2 iPhone lines, both with the iPhone data, unlimited text messaging, and the minimum number of minutes required.

Anyone know here?

2. samcraig macrumors P6

Minute plan + $30 data for each iphone + unlimited text amount on each phone.

It's simple math? What's so hard?

3. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

Take any AT&T family plan listed on their website. For a moment forget that you want iPhones. Find the plan that has the features, minutes, etc that you need. Add $30/month for each iPhone you want on the plan (in your case $60 for two). It's really that easy. The iPhone data plan is just bolted onto each line.

4. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

Any family plan works with the iPhone.

So you can get the 550 min plan. + $30 data for each line + $30 family unlimited txts (or $20 unlimited texts if you only want it on 1 line)...

So, $59.99 + $60 + 30 = $149.99 + taxes (which are usually 15%ish).

Also, check to see if your school or company has an AT&T discount.

5. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Didn't you have questions on another thread on June 28?

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=734465

It's not that difficult. It's been answered many times before. Why don't you go IN PERSON, to the AT&T store and they can walk you through the preocess/options.

6. iOrlando macrumors 68000

for 2 iphones shared family plan

60 bucks minimal for minutes
    60 bucks minimal for data ($30 an iphone)
    Unlimited text $30

grand total of 150 and then add another 15-20 in crap charges per month.

7. Trix thread starter macrumors member

Trix

Okay, I was getting off track with the family data vs iPhone data, and family texting vs iPhone texting. It really is simpler than I thought. Okay:

$60 - 550 shared minutes
    $30 - iPhone data
    $30 - iPhone data
    $30 - Unlimited family texting (for both iPhones)
    ________
    $150 before fees/taxes

Thank you for clarifying. Now, divided by 2 the monthly cost is around $75 a piece. Thats better than the same items put on an individual plan ($90).

So with 3 iPhones it gets cheaper yet, only needing to add $30 for data, bringing the total up to $180, dividing that now by 3 gives $60 each person!!! (albeit with a mere 183 minutes for each person, before rollovers are added).

eawmp1 - yes that was also my thread with questions pertaining to the activation process with the iPhone. I still plan on purchasing both simultaneously, however a dear friend of mine is switching to AT&T for the iPhone as well, and I offered a family plan to him. He thinks it's a good idea because we both get a cheaper rate. Now, about going into a brick-and-mortar AT&T store to chat face-to-face, I'd LOVE to! But the nearest one is well over an hour away from me, and I figured I could just as easily utilize the awesome tool of having internet forums at your fingertips. Connecting thousands of people across the world, they are simply a wealth of knowledge and can offer guidance when driving 3 hours round-trip is out of the question at this time. That is all..

8. nezff macrumors regular

the brochure i have shows unlimited text + 700 minutes for $99.99. then add you data for both iphones which is $60.

$99.99 700 minutes plus unlimited text
    $30.00 data
    $30.00 data

$159.99

and you dont keep rollover minutes. If you have say 1200 rollover minutes and you swap to the 700 minute plan, you loose 500 rollover minutes.

9. mrtune macrumors 6502a

The 3rd line won't be a simple $30 data add-on. They will also charge $10 for the line, monthly. So a 3rd iPhone will add $40/month to the phone bill, and some extra taxes and whatnot.

10. darngooddesign macrumors G3

11. tnsmart macrumors 6502

12. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

It doesn't matter. Their plans are the same. But that page doesn't actually show all the plans. For instance the 550 minute plan isn't on there. But that is the plan that I have with 3 iPhones.

13. Almy macrumors 6502

They charge a fee per phone for other things too. Like a $10 fee every month for each phone sharing the minutes plan. Be very careful to get an 'out the door' price quote so you'll know just what you're getting into.

14. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

175 for 2 lines sharing 750 minutes and unlimited text.

15. AuroraProject macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

They only charge that if you have more than 2 lines.