Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thebiggoose

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2006
I want to leave my macbookr unning with the lid closed to encode video and such. I looked and found doze, insomnia x, and sleepless. for some reason, none of these work with 10.4.8 yet! does anyone have any idea?

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Nope, 10.4.8 broke these apps, and it doesn't appear that they can be fixed unless Apple releases some code that doesn't appear to be forthcoming.

Currently the only way to do it is to connect your MB to an external display, monitor and mouse.

Blubbert

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2006
Or you could set the screen to go to sleep after a minute or so and just leave it open. It will stay awake and do the work you task it with.

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Nope, 10.4.8 broke these apps, and it doesn't appear that they can be fixed unless Apple releases some code that doesn't appear to be forthcoming.

Currently the only way to do it is to connect your MB to an external display, monitor and mouse.

You also have to make sure you connect it with your MB already closed. Otherwise, you go into Dual screen mode.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
re-
Egg%20Tart.jpg
-ed? :confused:

disconap

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
You also have to make sure you connect it with your MB already closed. Otherwise, you go into Dual screen mode.

Which you can probably just change to "mirrored" in the monitor preferences, can't you? I am yet to venture into Intel world, but on my ibook and my roommate's powerbook, that's what you do...

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Which you can probably just change to "mirrored" in the monitor preferences, can't you? I am yet to venture into Intel world, but on my ibook and my roommate's powerbook, that's what you do...

Yup. OSX on the PPC is the same OSX on the Intel, well, when it comes to Universal Apps, you get the added luxury of having PPC apps

thebiggoose

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2006
well, i want to do it so my creennames stay on all night with away mesages, and to encode video overnight, sometimes also to play music. I dot wnt to ust leave it open because it attracts dust and one of my cats could mes things up

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
well, i want to do it so my creennames stay on all night with away mesages, and to encode video overnight, sometimes also to play music. I dot wnt to ust leave it open because it attracts dust and one of my cats could mes things up

Do you have an external monitor? I'm assuming you do as you have a Mac Mini. Plug it in to that and when you go to bed just turn the external off.

semaja2

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2005
Adelaide
The Insomnia kernel extension is being actively developed by the Sleepless developers (who get paid for Sleepless :'( ) as for InsomniaX i am waiting on the 10.4.9 release or 10.5 to see if that fixes the changes that came in 10.4.8

From what i hear in Sleepless is they have worked a solution but it is not a pretty solution

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.