Why is this taking forever

empireoflight

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2012
I have a 500mb file on my mini. I am trying to copy it to my macbook over a wireless connection in my house, one that I have complete control over. It says 45 minutes. Really?

Nov 28, 2010
located
Does it normally not take that long?
200 KB/s is really slow, what kind of network do you have?
And you can also check some settings via OPTION clicking the WiFi/AirPort icon in the Menu Bar, like PHY Mode and Transmit Rate.

empireoflight

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2012
Yes, it always takes this long.

The whole router thing is completely confusing. When I connect to my mini, why does the file transfer go through my router; why can't it just be a direct transfer? Isn't wireless N really fast in a local network?

empireoflight

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2012
I tried the option click thing. Yours says Transmit Rate 243. Mine says 53. 53 what?

balamw

Staff member
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Nature of the beast.

Wireless to wireless transfers generally occur at a bit less than half the full bandwidth for the channel. Half is for System 1 -> Wireless Access Point/Router and the other half is for Wireless Access Point/Router -> System 2

This rate still seems rather slow. How does your internet speed look like http://speedtest.net

EDIT: read this for more about transfer rate: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=458405

Do you have any old/legacy devices on your network?

B

empireoflight

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2012
I'm running several Lion devices and a couple of xp boxes.
Ping is 51ms.
Download speed is 6.63mb/s
Upload 3.92mp/s
I'm using the basic router that Verizon fios installed; could that be it?

balamw

Staff member
Aug 16, 2005
New England
I believe they are on b/g
So the whole network falls back to b/g. i.e. a max of 54 Mbit/s for g or 11 Mbit/s for b (careful if you are comparing Mbits to Mbytes too).

Unfortunately you can't expect 802.11n speeds if you aren't running a pure 802.11n network.

This may not be the main problem, but it certainly doesn't help.

B

empireoflight

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2012
Thanks

I believe WEP was running, which as I understand it can only operate at G. I'm on WPA now, so we'll see if it speeds things up.

ljonesj

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
Kingsport TN
actually depending on router and such he can have a mix and still get n speeds with g on the network its called dual band my time capsule is dual band i can have g and n at the same time on the same frequency which i do but i also have the 2.4 abg/n and the 5 abgn which a lot of the older devices dont use

balamw

Staff member
Aug 16, 2005
New England
actually depending on router and such he can have a mix and still get n speeds with g on the network its called dual band my time capsule is dual band i can have g and n at the same time on the same frequency which i do but i also have the 2.4 abg/n and the 5 abgn which a lot of the older devices dont use
True-ish, but:
I'm using the basic router that Verizon fios installed; could that be it?
My understanding of how the Time Capsule implements "simultaneous dual band" is that it has separate radios for the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands. You can dedicate the 5 GHz for 802.11n and run b/g/n at 2.4 GHz simultaneously. Many other 802.11n routers are dual band, including other Airport and Time Capsules, but they have to pick one or the other.

B