Why is this thing so cheap?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Boesky, Apr 26, 2010.

1. hushmartin macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Personally I wouldn't trust something off of eBay. But for only tiny bit more you can get one from monoprice.com. I've used monoprice as have many others here, and I've had nothing but good luck with them.

2. corriewf macrumors 6502a

It's very short that's why it is cheap. I got one from Big Lots once for 9.99.... It has worked great!

3. omgitscro macrumors 6502a

omgitscro

4. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

Ebay is fine as long as you shop smart. Monoprice I had a bad experience there. The one and only time I shopped there my credit card had multiple 500 dolalr purchases made (credit card company declined them luckily). Then they (monprice) publicly deny that there was any issue with their server :rolleyes:.

5. LaunchpadBS macrumors 6502a

A cable's a cable, as long as the right wires connect to the right contacts you're A for away, don't know what the problem is.
    Now if it's poorly constructed and the contacts break it won't work, simple, not going to fry your iPod.

6. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Absolutely! :)

7. Goodhank16 macrumors newbie

Its that cheap because its from china. I doubt it would screw anything up on your computer, like everyone else said a cable is a cable. The worst thing that could probably happen is that it might break.

And I use ebay a lot, but my general rule of thumb is to not buy anything outside of canada or the US....

8. John T macrumors 68020

John T

So what? So's your iPhone! :D

9. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

I've purchased numerous $1 iPod/iPhone cables from Meritline before, never had any problems. They occasionally have deals where the cables are $0.99 shipped.

10. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

So have I. I've ordered 4 or 5 of them from there and never had a problem. Shipping takes a while, but for $1 per cable I don't mind. I have 2 people at work that keep asking to borrow my cable to charge their iPod's and it was getting quite annoying so I bought them each one so they will leave me alone. Frustration free for $2 ever since.

11. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Deaextreme rocks. I bought 3x A/C adapters & USB cables last year and paid less for everything than I would've paid for a single item at the Apple Store. People who spend $30 for a damn USB cable are suckers, plain and simple.