Why is time Time Capsule doing this?!?!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MasterHowl, Mar 24, 2011.

1. MasterHowl macrumors 65816

MasterHowl

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

If you aren't already, connect via Ethernet to the Time Capsule for your initial backup. If you're connected via Ethernet, disable AirPort temporarily so you're not getting two IP addresses. Before trying Time Machine again, also make sure that you are joined to the Time Capsule's network, and not a neighbor's.

3. MasterHowl thread starter macrumors 65816

MasterHowl

Still no joy.

I've tried everything.

When it starts to back up, it's like it recognises the disk perfectly well for a split second, then it doesn't! and says the backup disk is not available...

please help me :(

4. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

Can you afford to lose the backups you have now?
    If so, you could erase the contents of the Time Capsule (using Airport Utility) and then restore it to factory defaults and rebuild the settings.
    This would rule out any software issues on the time capsule side.

5. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

Airport utility/manual setup/disks/file sharing/ enable disk with password, and allow guests to read and write. Let AEBS/TC reboot, then, log on to AEBS/TC as a guest. Not the optimal setup, but it works... if your network is hidden, security shouldn't be a problem.

If there is another work around, I'd love to hear it.

6. MasterHowl thread starter macrumors 65816

MasterHowl

Still not working :/ I think it may be a fault with the software or something...

I can afford to loose it all, yes. I think I'll do what you said.

How do I erase all my backups and completely start from scratch?

Thank you so much for your replies

7. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

FWIW, check out this discussion.

perhaps you would like to bookmark these pages for future reference: one and two.

8. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

9. MasterHowl thread starter macrumors 65816

MasterHowl

Thank you very much :) Bookmarked and reading!

Thanks for your help! Much appreciated

10. MasterHowl thread starter macrumors 65816

MasterHowl

aaaaaaah!

I erased all my previous backups, and reset the Time Cap to factory settings. It's doing the same thing!

Am I setting it up wrong maybe?

This is what I did:

• Entered the Time Cap name, and Time Cap
    • "I want Time Capsule to join my current network
    • "I want Time Capsule to wirelessly join my current network"
    • Found my internet router, typed in the password
    • *Update* (and wait)... light goes green

Then when I go into System Prefs and select the disk... but it happens again! Everything's fine for like a split second, then it's like it doesn't even acknowledge the disk!

This is starting to make me ill :( I'm paranoid about data loss

11. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Any particular reason you are not using the Time Capsule as the primary router in your network? If you must continue to use the non-Apple router, consider settting your primary into bridge mode. I suspect that you have a double NAT or some firewall perhaps complicating your attempts to backup...

12. reusjep, Mar 31, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2011

reusjep macrumors newbie

I've had exactly the same problem as the TS, and the suggestion of setting the guest account helped me out in a slightly different way:

The TC refused to work out of the box with TM, neither did it appear in the disk management applet. It showed up as a network disk though and I was able to connect to it through an Ethernet cable, connecting to it as an accespoint and even finding it when connected to my existing, non supported - as the apple technician told me - home WLAN.

Because of it being connected to this already existing WLAN the guest account was unavailable but...
    It is possible to set acces via a time capsule password, disk password (which both failed here) and with user accounts.
    I created an account called Z, gave it a simple password, et voila, now it works and is backing up the mac it was bought for.

Time Machine asks for the set username and password when selecting the backup disk.

I'm not too familliar with Apple and with the English language too, but I hope this works for the TS too.
    Here it seemed like something went wrong with recognizing it as a disk, sometimes appearing separately from the TC in the list Time Machine gave me.
    Some sort of network disk error. A few weeks even an Apple technician broke its head over it and in the Mac Store here it worked flawlessly, so this may just be a workaround.

Good luck! :)

13. ljonesj macrumors 6502a

ljonesj

here is what i done with my time capsule i hard wired mine to my netgear g router. did not touch a setting on the netgear. then set my mac mini, macbook pro to use the time capsule as n router except the mini is hard wired to the time capsule. i did it this way so i did not lose speed for the netgear router as i have a few wireless pieces that use it wireless and such and i did not want to bother with changing their ssid's. i also have mine and my mom's apple tv's 2nd gen on the timecapsule and i have everything working correctly. my backups work just wish they were faster on restore when i format and reinstall the os from time to time from a stupid move on my part.