Why is video streaming so bad?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by ks-man, Mar 19, 2009.

1. ks-man macrumors 6502a

I have a first gen MBA. It is 1.6Ghz with 2GB of Ram.

I am trying to watch the NCAA tournament on MMOD and the quality is terrible. It gets so choppy and I often have to quit Safari or Firefox and even restart the computer. It usually starts off ok but after a few minutes it becomes unwatchable.

What is wrong? I am not running anything by the OS and the browser. It isn't my internet as it makes no difference if I use wireless or ethernet and my download speeds are about 10-15Mbps.

I don't have any problems watching streaming on my 5 yr old Dell.

Is there any way to fix this? Thanks.

2. Macjames macrumors 6502a

I have a rev a same specs and i can get through 3 45min to 1hr tv shows before i get stutter on bbc iplayer (Safari 4 beta)

Have you tried uninstalling them and re installing?

3. still in school macrumors 6502

I also have the same specs and my videos are fine. I can watch over an hour on hulu HD just fine, and AVI files from my portable harddrive for hours effortlessly.

edit: are you running cool book?

4. ks-man thread starter macrumors 6502a

No, what is cool book?

5. ks-man thread starter macrumors 6502a

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling firefox and download Safari 4 beta. Neither thing worked. I still can't watch the games on my MBA as the stuttering gets awful within a minute or two.

I really don't understand it. As soon as I close out the video my computer gets very fast again. It is only when I'm trying to watch the video that the computer performance drops like a rock.

6. jeremybuff macrumors regular

Are you using silverlight? Meaning, are you watching the HQ video? You may need to reinstall silverlight.

7. ks-man thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't think that is the problem as I've tried watching streamed video in the past on the MBA and seen significant stuttering.