Why is Windows so much faster on my MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by newtito, Feb 26, 2014.

1. newtito macrumors member

I've been a loyal Mac user since 1998. I recently installed Windows 7 on my MacBook Pro mid 2010 and have found it to be a much faster experience. For example, when I open up Google Chrome I have found it to be much faster starting up and surfing than in Mac. Seems as though in order to compete with this performance, I would have to buy a top of the line Mac. What is your experience with Windows on the Mac?

2. IA64 macrumors 6502

You should see Windows 8.1 vs Mavericks... Windows wipes the floor with the OSx from graphics to network and connectivity.

3. Altemose, Feb 26, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2014

Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

It seems as though the last OS that really competed with Windows in terms of true UI speed was Snow Leopard. Try SL and Windows 7 against each other! Also Windows was a fresh install where as OS X had years of stuff to deal with. If you tuned up the OS X install maybe it would be a little different!

4. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

I have the later versions of Windows (7 & 8.x) to be much faster than any version of OS X. Especially 8.1, which screams ahead of Mavericks. However, Windows can easily slow down if not maintained (virus scanned regularly and startup items monitored) where as OS X seems to be consistent with its speeds throughout.

5. IA64 macrumors 6502

It's much easier to repair Windows than OS X.