Why is Windows XP with Service Pack 2 so expensive?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mikehokie, Jun 10, 2007.

1. mikehokie macrumors regular

Why the heck is it? I am buying a new MBP with SR, and I want to use it for video editing, photoshop, ect. But I also want to use a little Windows here and there, but if I am going to be dropping $200 for a crappy OS then I am going to just have to put off my gaming crave.

2. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Microsoft likes to rape it's customers because they have no choice. 99% of windows users have no idea what linux is so they aren't going to be installing that, and unless they go out and buy a mac, they're stuck with windows. So Microsoft charges them a ton of money to upgrade (Ultimate is like $300).

3. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

What do you need to use Windows for? If it's something you could do in Mac OS X, you probably don't need Windows anymore.

4. macjay macrumors 6502

5. JAT macrumors 603

6. Spoony Bard macrumors regular

Lol! ^^;;;

Luckily for me, my university is part of the MSDNAA. I got my copies of XP and Vista for $0. ;)

7. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

8. jayeskreezy macrumors 65816

office depot has it for $99.99....get some ink cartridges to get $3 off for each cartridge up to $75 off on a purchase...

soo.... 25 ink cartridges = $75 off OD = windows xp home sp2 for $24.99

9. Bearxor macrumors 6502a

Yeah, certainly buying a new version of Windows every 3-5 years for $100 is way better than buying a new version of OSX almost every year for $100.

Apple's way is soooo much better!

10. bogg macrumors 6502

bogg

Yeah, because Vista Ultimate really only costs $100 ...
    And there's a new OS X version out Every year!

Well, not really... What has it been, a little over 2 years since Tiger came, and it will be 2.5 when Leopard is finally here.

11. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

I understand you are mainly promoting Dell/MS here. There is no rule against it. But, at least make some effort to get things right. It costs $209 (CDW) to upgrade to XP from 2K (or whatever). Without the upgrade it is $309. Vista Ultimate is $409.

OSX is $129 for the complete package. You can license 5 computers for $199. There is no question where the deal is. Your post is so full of embellishment, it only has one truthful sentence, the last one.

MS would love to be able to keep advancing their product, like Apple does. Even given years to actually build a new system from scratch, they utterly failed. They were forced to modify an existing one.

12. Igantius macrumors 65816

It's more like 4 versions of OS X in 6 years, my little troll. But of course, with Vista, you've got so many great flavours to choose from.

13. Bearxor macrumors 6502a

No trolling here. I just like laughing at some people because the ones that complain about Windows pricing are the exact same ones that run out and grab a new copy of OS X whenever it's released. We can run down the OS X release schedule if you wish:

10 - 3/01
    10.1 - 9/01
    10.2 - 8/02
    10.3 - 10/03
    10.4 - 4/05
    10.4 Intel - 1/06
    10.5 - 9/07

Is it fair to count 10.4 Intel as a completely new operating system release, well, according to Steve (12:20 time stamp on the interview blog) yes it is. I fully believe that if Apple hadn't done the transition to Intel, 10.5 would have come out last year and we'd be talking about 10.6 right now.

So that boils down to one a year except for 10.3 to 10.4 (1 1/2) . Now people who bought 10 got 10.1 for free and in order to get 10.4 Intel you had to buy a whole new computer which would, of course, come with the new operating system.

You guys are mistaking my finding humor in people who complain about having to buy a copy of Windows (when those same people will run out to buy whatever version of OS X happens to release this year) with hating Apple and loving Microsoft. Far from it. I think there are two many versions of Vista. I think Microsoft is completely missing the mark when it comes to home volume licensing (they would have more to gain from a bulk licensing for home users than Apple does, yet Apple has it right).

Heaven knows Microsoft would love to have Apples OS release schedule. The markets work differently though. Apple makes a ton of money off of people buying their OS upgrades year after year. Microsoft makes it's money off of new computer sales. The PC market doesn't adopt a new Windows platform the way the Apple platform does.

And I find it extremely hard to believe that anyone that vistis this board would buy a retail copy of Windows. Very hard to believe. We would all buy OEM copies. So in that case, Vista Home Basic, which, if you're using it on a Mac as a secondary OS, is really all you need (play games, run Office, etc) and runs $100 for a OEM copy. Ultimate runs $200 for a OEM copy.

Don't mistake me as promoting one OS over another or Apple hate or whatnot. Just calling a spade a spade.

EDIT: HA! This thread just reminded me of a thread on another forums where I was called a blind mac fanboy for defending Apple's hardware (Intel) pricing and here you guys probably think I'm a complete Windows fanboy. Guess I walk the line pretty good then :)

14. mikehokie thread starter macrumors regular

90$ from Tiger Direct, nice.

Props to who posted that I forgot to look at my boys at Tiger Direct. Especially since I got my Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTX there I should know. Man a MBP with an 8800 GTX...*drools*

15. javabear90 macrumors 6502a

javabear90

... Anything with an 8800 GTX... *drools*

16. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

There are cheap vista everywhere, no need to rant. if its that crappy, u can just avoid it, no need to rant neither, nobody is forcing you to use it.

17. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I think that you got that switched around, or when did Microsoft start making computers? Apple makes their money off of their new computers, I doubt that after R&D costs they make much money off of selling OS upgrades.

18. 2hondas macrumors regular

No problem! :D

19. mikehokie thread starter macrumors regular

Now all I need to find is a cheap version of MS Office. Just Word, Excel, and Outlook (which I think is basic gosh I wish Microsoft would just make one OS level).

20. JAT macrumors 603

Whoa, you people pay for OSX, too? Next you'll tell me you paid for your computer. Weirdos....