Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
This is what I had in mind when I was posting about what I hoped Apple would do with regard to wireless charging - make it TRULY wireless to the device.

Check this out. There's a startup called WiTricity, made up of some very smart people from MIT, who did just that in 2007.

This macrumors link from 2011 came about because Apple said they were experimenting with "a new way of charging" their iPhone. https://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/11/apples-interest-in-witricity-wireless-charging/

Also, there is a link in the page to a TED Talk from 2009, where the CEO of Witricity demoed it on three phones, one of them being an iPhone.

THIS is innovation. This is the promise of wireless charging done right.

"Apple describes a scenario where your iMac could be the source of this resonance power to provide a virtual charging area in front of your computer."

I think this is great but to use apple's and your own argument, if it uses the imac to generate the charging, isn't the imac connected to the power outlet?

Therefore not truly wireless? You were quick to point out wireless charging pads require a plug but fail to point out so does the imac.

Again I think this is cool and look forward to the day I spoke of in my other post, where one can walk into a room or even a house and your device is automatically charging. Just pointing out, once again, your lack of consistency.

Besides, when would we see this? And if the imac is the only way to do it, that's awfully expensive.

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
Love the wireless charging on the DNA definitely a "feature". You can always not use the wireless charging. I can still charge my phone via the USB cable like always. As discussed wireless charging has a standard you don't need a "special" base to charge it. Its nice to just walk into the bed room at night and not have to fumble around in the dark looking for my USB cable, then figure out which way to plug it in. I can just set the phone down and bingo its charging. Want to look at it just pick it up no cable. I have one on my desk at the office too. I like it, I like it a lot.. BTW it will charge through a case as well.

If Apple adds it, it WILL be the greatest thing EVER. It will also be like it NEVER existed. Apple invented wireless charging is what all the iPhone people will think.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
It's a massive gimmick at the moment. I want it to reach the level where I can just place my phone on my desk anywhere and it'll start charging. Now that'd be awesome.

How about just walking into the room?

----------

"Apple describes a scenario where your iMac could be the source of this resonance power to provide a virtual charging area in front of your computer."

I think this is great but to use apple's and your own argument, if it uses the imac to generate the charging, isn't the imac connected to the power outlet?

Therefore not truly wireless? You were quick to point out wireless charging pads require a plug but fail to point out so does the imac.

Again I think this is cool and look forward to the day I spoke of in my other post, where one can walk into a room or even a house and your device is automatically charging. Just pointing out, once again, your lack of consistency.

Besides, when would we see this? And if the imac is the only way to do it, that's awfully expensive.

Whatever "it" is, it will have to plug into something at some point.

I did carefully say wireless to the device. :)

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011

----------

Then what is your issue with current wireless charging pads? They're wireless to the device too.

I hate to say it yet again, but this is so clearly a double standard. Other companies do wireless charging, and you take up issue with the fact that it still requires a plug to the charging mat, but when Apple does charging, only with a desktop instead of a pad, you have no issue with the fact that it too requires a plug.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Love the wireless charging on the DNA definitely a "feature". You can always not use the wireless charging. I can still charge my phone via the USB cable like always. As discussed wireless charging has a standard you don't need a "special" base to charge it. Its nice to just walk into the bed room at night and not have to fumble around in the dark looking for my USB cable, then figure out which way to plug it in. I can just set the phone down and bingo its charging. Want to look at it just pick it up no cable. I have one on my desk at the office too. I like it, I like it a lot.. BTW it will charge through a case as well.

If Apple adds it, it WILL be the greatest thing EVER. It will also be like it NEVER existed. Apple invented wireless charging is what all the iPhone people will think.

Quit with the flame war stereotyping and grow up....

You do realize that many of these companies implement the same "feature" in different ways....and not all of us "iPhone people" think Apple invented everything....I just prefer their implementation 9 times out of 10.

----------

Then what is your issue with current wireless charging pads? They're wireless to the device too.

I hate to say it yet again, but this is so clearly a double standard. Other companies do wireless charging, and you take up issue with the fact that it still requires a plug to the charging mat, but when Apple does charging, only with a desktop instead of a pad, you have no issue with the fact that it too requires a plug.

There is a difference though....

I'll start by saying I think wireless charging, while adding a small amount of convenience, is ultimately more "gimmick" than "feature".

That said, there is a large difference between wirelessly charging though a device that (1) ONLY wirelessly charges and (2) must have the phone touching it....

vs.

(1) a device which does a large variety of other tasks and (2) can charge the phone when it is "near" the device.

For me, this wouldn't really help at all being that I charge my phones overnight by my bed, but the implications are promising....it will take a few steps before we reach the "true" wireless charging of Witricity (modeled on TED talks a few years ago).

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011

----------

Also, was it you that pointed out that if one is traveling, it'd be ridiculous to have to pack a wireless charging mat to bring with you to continue using wireless charging?

Because imaging carrying an iMac! Obviously you wouldn't, but again, same (if not bigger) issue.

----------

I'll start by saying I think wireless charging, while adding a small amount of convenience, is ultimately more "gimmick" than "feature".

That said, there is a large difference between wirelessly charging though a device that (1) ONLY wirelessly charges and (2) must have the phone touching it....

vs.

(1) a device which does a large variety of other tasks and (2) can charge the phone when it is "near" the device.

For me, this wouldn't really help at all being that I charge my phones overnight by my bed, but the implications are promising....it will take a few steps before we reach the "true" wireless charging of Witricity (modeled on TED talks a few years ago).

Oh, I agree. They're two very different devices. No doubt there. But Irisman's issue (and many other posters in this thread's issue) is that the wireless pad is rendered redundant because it requires a plug. Just simply pointing out, so does this future iMac, which doesn't seem as big of a concern.

Follow the thread, if you haven't already. Many posters have many concerns about the wireless charging pad, ranging from the plug, its usability while traveling, its convenience or lack thereof, inability to use it while it's on the mat, or the fact that it sometimes might still require a USB cable (like if you were at work) -- which was Irishman's main concern (we went on for pages debating this) -- but these same posters, particularly Irishamn, don't seem to have as many worries about Apple's implementation of it, which these issues would still apply.

Again, I want to stress, I think if Apple can pull off what they're saying, it'll be great. It'll be one step closer to the day I was talking about... a "WiFi-like" charging experience based on proximity.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Also, was it you that pointed out that if one is traveling, it'd be ridiculous to have to pack a wireless charging mat to bring with you to continue using wireless charging?

Because imaging carrying an iMac! Obviously you wouldn't, but again, same (if not bigger) issue.

----------

Oh, I agree. They're two very different devices. No doubt there. But Irisman's issue (and many other posters in this thread's issue) is that the wireless pad is rendered redundant because it requires a plug. Just simply pointing out, so does this future iMac, which doesn't seem as big of a concern.

Follow the thread, if you haven't already. Many posters have many concerns about the wireless charging pad, ranging from the plug, its usability while traveling, its convenience or lack thereof, or the fact that it sometimes might still require a USB cable (like if you were at work) -- which was Irishman's main concern (we went on for pages debating this) -- but these same posters, particularly Irishamn, don't seem to have as many worries about Apple's implementation of it, which these issues would still apply.

Again, I want to stress, I think if Apple can pull off what they're saying, it'll be great. It'll be one step closer to the day I was talking about... a "WiFi-like" charging experience based on proximity.

Agreed - obviously an iMac would be a lot more cumbersome to travel with if you wanted to use it to charge :p

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Also, if Apple is to implement their patents for induction charging docks, then it'll be a while before we see a wireless charging iMac.

http://9to5mac.com/2013/03/08/apple...nes-this-year-despite-rumors-to-the-contrary/

And this isn't expected until 2014. In the mean time, others are introducing and have introduced wireless charging in their

The Apple patent looks awful lot like a charging dock with a "power supply charger" AKA a wire to plug into an outlet. If they introduce this, will there still be throngs of people saying it's not really wireless?

inductive-charging-dock.jpg

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
Quit with the flame war stereotyping and grow up....

You do realize that many of these companies implement the same "feature" in different ways....and not all of us "iPhone people" think Apple invented everything....I just prefer their implementation 9 times out of 10.

----------

vs.

I don't need you to tell me what to do... everyone knows apple invents everything.. you don't like it? TOO BAD!

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I don't need you to tell me what to do... everyone knows apple invents everything.. you don't like it? TOO BAD!

:rolleyes: Have a lovely day!

----------

Also, if Apple is to implement their patents for induction charging docks, then it'll be a while before we see a wireless charging iMac.

http://9to5mac.com/2013/03/08/apple...nes-this-year-despite-rumors-to-the-contrary/

And this isn't expected until 2014. In the mean time, others are introducing and have introduced wireless charging in their

The Apple patent looks awful lot like a charging dock with a "power supply charger" AKA a wire to plug into an outlet. If they introduce this, will there still be throngs of people saying it's not really wireless?

If they can't get the tech into the phone, would a logical next step be to bounce the wireless charge from something like an iMac to a "dock" wirelessly than then charges the phone? Or would this be going backwards?

Just spitballing ideas here....think of a practical (read: could happen this year) way of improving upon the current inductive charging model.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
:rolleyes: Have a lovely day!

----------

If they can't get the tech into the phone, would a logical next step be to bounce the wireless charge from something like an iMac to a "dock" wirelessly than then charges the phone? Or would this be going backwards?

Just spitballing ideas here....think of a practical (read: could happen this year) way of improving upon the current inductive charging model.

That'd be pretty cool, I suppose. It'd be like a wireless router (again, the WiFi analogy).

What I imagine would be cool is if Apple could create something like the Airport Express, that instead of shooting out WiFi, shoots out magnetic charging or whatever it is that can charge devices within a certain proximity/range.

That's probably a while away, but that'd be one step closer to charging inside a room. And just like WiFi and router technology, over time, the range will get increasingly farther, and the "signal" increasingly stronger, thus allowing you to charge faster and/or charge multiple devices equally quickly (again, just like WiFi on multiple devices. If only one device is in the room, that'll charge quicker. If you have people over, and there are multiple devices in range, the charge will be divided up, and they'll all charge evenly, but slower).

apple_airport_express.jpg

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
That'd be pretty cool, I suppose. It'd be like a wireless router (again, the WiFi analogy).

What I imagine would be cool is if Apple could create something like the Airport Express, that instead of shooting out WiFi, shoots out magnetic charging or whatever it is that can charge devices within a certain proximity/range.

That's probably a while away, but that'd be one step closer to charging inside a room. And just like WiFi and router technology, over time, the range will get increasingly farther, and the "signal" increasingly stronger, thus allowing you to charge faster and/or charge multiple devices equally quickly (again, just like WiFi on multiple devices. If only one device is in the room, that'll charge quicker. If you have people over, and there are multiple devices in range, the charge will be divided up, and they'll all charge evenly, but slower).

Agreed - that'd be a great idea.....honestly, (and this is further than your idea) this could possibly be built into the existing Airport Express device....just another "feature" to add to it....

Would be really awesome.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
Agreed - that'd be a great idea.....honestly, (and this is further than your idea) this could possibly be built into the existing Airport Express device....just another "feature" to add to it....

Would be really awesome.

I agree with your agreement. :):D

I keep reading back my post hoping it makes sense. :D:D:D

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006

What I said waaay back in post 109 was this: "If I were going to use wireless charging, I would expect something like either Bluetooth or Wi-Fi radios built into a normal wall wart (making it necessarily larger), but that, within a certain range (hopefully up to 30 feet for BT or 100 feet for Wifi) can charge by proximity, not by touch, or by coming within 1.5 inches.

That would be an innovative and really useful device that doesn't require us to jump through hoops to use it.

It would just work."

Which sounds very much like what you were saying yesterday. It seems like, in this instance, we agree more than we disagree.

----------

Apple has NOT done inductive charging to a desktop. IF they do, I probably won't use it, even though I have a brand-new iMac.

My issue with the current implementations of inductive charging is that they don't simplify users' daily routine. The mat is plugged into the wall, and the phone must be laid down in contact with the mat, as opposed to a truly over-the-air solution that would just work when you're within range (like auto-discovery on a wi-fi network).

----------

Apple has not done wireless charging requiring an iMac. Why are you wasting energy arguing against something that doesn't exist??

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
My issue with the current implementations of inductive charging is that they don't simplify users' daily routine. The mat is plugged into the wall, and the phone must be laid down in contact with the mat, as opposed to a truly over-the-air solution that would just work when you're within range (like auto-discovery on a wi-fi network).

But the current implementation is all we have to work with. And the current implementation is more simple than plugging in a USB wire. How any one can think placing a device down vs picking up a cable and plugging it into the device is not simplifying daily routine is beyond me.

Instead, you've been moving your goal posts, changing your argument, and being obtuse. No one is arguing that walking into a room and having your device automatically charge is not better than a wireless charging mat. No one. But your issue is with the current implementation of wireless charging, which you say is not more simple for daily routine. It absolutely is. You may not like it, but placing a phone down versus plugging in a USB cable is easier. Not by much, but it is.

Apple has not done wireless charging requiring an iMac. Why are you wasting energy arguing against something that doesn't exist??

Are you being serious? You're the one that brought up and linked us to the article that talks about the Apple's potential plans for future wireless charging. The article says Apple would use an iMac.

All I'm pointing out is that your issue with current wireless charging mats (having to plug into the wall and not being truly wireless) applies equally to Apple's iMac idea.

Seriously, I'm convinced you're being intentionally obtuse. No one can be this dense.

That's it for me talking to you.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
But the current implementation is all we have to work with. And the current implementation is more simple than plugging in a USB wire. How any one can think placing a device down vs picking up a cable and plugging it into the device is not simplifying daily routine is beyond me.

I'd love to have a charging mat in the living room and bedroom at home. Come home and place your keys and phone down and your phone automatically starts charging. Go to bed and place it on your table/desk and it automatically charges. Pretty simple and convenient.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006

Instead, you've been moving your goal posts, changing your argument, and being obtuse. No one is arguing that walking into a room and having your device automatically charge is not better than a wireless charging mat. No one. But your issue is with the current implementation of wireless charging, which you say is not more simple for daily routine. It absolutely is. You may not like it, but placing a phone down versus plugging in a USB cable is easier. Not by much, but it is.

Are you being serious? You're the one that brought up and linked us to the article that talks about the Apple's potential plans for future wireless charging. The article says Apple would use an iMac.

All I'm pointing out is that your issue with current wireless charging mats (having to plug into the wall and not being truly wireless) applies equally to Apple's iMac idea.

Seriously, I'm convinced you're being intentionally obtuse. No one can be this dense.

That's it for me talking to you.

You really need to back off on the caffeine, man. LOL

I try to agree with something you say, and you're not having' it! You'd rather have the argument.

Jeez!

----------

I'd love to have a charging mat in the living room and bedroom at home. Come home and place your keys and phone down and your phone automatically starts charging. Go to bed and place it on your table/desk and it automatically charges. Pretty simple and convenient.

You can get that now. It's called the Qi.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
Thanks for the video. Guess I'll have to wait a little bit longer until they integrate it into the phone or the back case. Don't think I can add even more size to this phone.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Thanks for the video. Guess I'll have to wait a little bit longer until they integrate it into the phone or the back case. Don't think I can add even more size to this phone.

Why? Is it thick? Or do you use a case that adds thickness to it?

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
It's the thickness and additional length it adds to the device. If you could just swap out the back cover to add this feature, I'd prefer that.

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012

Totally disagree. There is nothing "gimmicky" about it. It is a luxury, not a necessity. That said, it is QUITE convenient, and I much rather use wireless charging than the traditional corded method. It is much easier for me to reach over and grab my phone when I wake up out of my sleep, and not have to worry about a cord reaching, or wrapping around something, etc. When I wake up in the middle of the night and roll over to check my phone, it's much easier to just pick it up, do what I need to do, and sit it back down and it start back charging. It is much easier for me to sit the phone down on my end table as I walk in the living room after coming home, and walk past and pick it up (without having to fumble with any wires). Is that necessary? No. Do I absolutely have to have it? No. Does it add to the experience of owning this phone? Absolutely. Is it very convenient? You bet it is.

ReanimationN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Australia
I don't care who implements it- Apple, Samsung, LG etc., I (only in my opinion) think it's a silly idea that offers a minor boost in convenience in a limited selection of situations. It would be utterly useless for me (at least in its current implementation), given how often I use my phone while it's charging, or how often I travel. If it comes to the iPhone, I won't touch it. That being said, if it is implemented in most smartphones and people like it, then that's great, it won't affect me either way though as I know I won't use it, no matter who does/doesn't implement it.

Ragnarianrok

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2013

Unfortunately, there's a lot of misinformation about wireless charging in this thread. I notice a lot of the detractors here are people who haven't actually used it. It's a shame.

The convenience of a good wireless charger can't be overstated.

It's not so much that you don't need to plug a cable in, it's more about the fact that it's charging nearly all the time, which means you're never really worrying about the battery life anymore. Before, you'd set your device down on the table only bothering with the cable if you knew you needed to charge your batts. Now, you put it on the charger instead so it's always charging regardless. The battery, therefore, is always being "topped off." Whenever you return to it, it can be 10, 15, maybe even 20% more charged than before (a good wireless charger can charge surprisingly fast). So the convenience has to do a lot more with the batteries being constantly charged than it is about the cable.

Yet still, a wireless charger does help eliminate messy USB cables. People point out that the wireless charger has its own cable too and that somehow this makes the added feature irrelevant. This simply isn't true. The wireless charger's cable is tucked away behind the charging pad. It's never "loose" so to speak. You're never tugging for it or fumbling for the end of the cable or managing it in any sort of way. Heck, depending on the charger, you don't even see it.

To those concerned about being able to use the device while charging, depending on the type of charger you get, this is still possible. That's the wonderful thing about different manufacturers developing different types of chargers at different price points; you can choose what's best for your needs while still taking advantage of the functionality of wireless charging. Also, I mean, you can just take it off the charger and plunk it back down when you're done. Unless your battery is absolutely at zero, it's really not that big of a deal to just lift it up off the charger whenever you need to use it.

Going through this thread, I can't help but feel the detractors are just looking for things to be negative about. "Haters" as they are often called. And I say, again, it's a shame. Wireless charging is a great feature and a great convenience that goes beyond just "not needing to plug a cable in." Not needing to plug a cable in every time, by the way? Quite nice.

----------

For what it's worth, this is the one I got:

e2RHDFq.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.