Why is Xcode sometimes free, other times $4.99?

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by macrumorsuser10, Dec 25, 2013.

1. macrumorsuser10 macrumors 6502

I've occasionally looked into iOS/MacOS programming, but sometimes I see that Xcode is free (like in 2010 and right now) and other times it's a few dollars (e.g. $4.99 in 2011) to download. Why does the price vary?

2. WildCard^ macrumors regular

I have never seen it not free, the few times I have looked for it.

If you are looking for a book to start, look into Big Nerd Ranch's iOS programming or Objective C. Both have great reviews.

3. Red Menace macrumors 6502

As far as I can remember, Apple has always charged for Xcode 4 in Snow Leopard (the version released with Snow Leopard was 3.2.x) - there was some argument at the time about it most likely being due to Xcode 4 providing new functionality that was not part of the advertised package at the time Snow Leopard was released and an overly strict interpretation of Sarbanes-Oxley. The original developer preview was available in the AppStore (with people howling about paying $5), but when Lion was released it was removed and can now only be accessed via a paid developer program. The version of Xcode written for any given version of OS X has otherwise been free (well, it is included in the cost of the OS anyway).

4. Blakeasd macrumors 6502a

I've been a Mac user/developer since 2009 and 2011 is the only time I ever recall Xcode being non-free.

5. robvas macrumors 68020

Accounting shenanigans, basically.

6. Red Menace macrumors 6502

More like laziness. Plus, it gave them some feedback about what people thought about having to pay.

7. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Thanks for the book recommendation