Why is YouTube so TERRIBLE on Lion?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Mars478, Aug 27, 2011.

1. Mars478 macrumors 6502a

Mars478

Hey all. I can barely use Youtube using the MacBook in my sig. The CPU usage spikes to 100% and a process called "QTKitServer-(2897)" and basically renders my computer unusable. This did not seem to happen under SL, and I don't think my machine is THAT terrible, yes it's two years old, but I doubt this should be happening. Any ideas?

2. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Flash sucks yes, but it isn't even that bad on my 2.16GHz white MB running Lion with 3GB. Something's wrong with your system.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

So don't use Flash. Instead, opt-in for YouTube's HTML5.

4. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Unfortunately, it's a bit flakey. I've had to turn it off to view videos at times. I've ended up resorting to using the excellent Safari extension YouTube5.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I tried it for a while, but didn't really notice much difference, since I wasn't having any issues with Flash, so I opted out. If I understand correctly, not all videos on YouTube have an HTML5 option, so opting in could mean some videos don't play. I could be way off on that assumption, though. I've never had any problems with Flash, especially with ClickToFlash giving me the option to control what Flash content plays.

6. Mars478 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mars478

Apparently I am already in the HTML 5 Trial... Maybe it's the HTML 5 causing the issues? And I've tried YouTube5. Didn't do much for me.

7. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

That's not quite correct. When you're in YT's HTML5 option, if a video doesn't have an HTML5 version, then it still plays the Flash version.

OP, my MacBook in my sig has no issues with YouTube under Lion either.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Thanks for that clarification. I wasn't sure about that. I don't watch YouTube very often.

9. hraven macrumors newbie

Mine was doing that too (though, I have SL, not Lion), the QTKitServer and the 100% CPU usage and all that. I was in the HTML5 trial thing at the time, I ended up leaving it and youtube is fine again. It happened out of the blue too, I didn't make any changes or anything and since it sounds like it's happening to other people as well, I am wondering if youtube did something on their end perhaps?

But yeah, getting out of the HTML5 thing fixed it for me.