Why isn't Apple leveraging its advantages?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by lostngone, Jan 13, 2009.

1. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

Apple controls the OS and the Hardware.

They are in a unique situation in the Desktop world. I don't understand why we are not seeing more radical designs/ideas out of them. They are currently making very nice systems but they are really not that different from the other PC manufactures offerings.

I would think that they could be doing a lot more with hardware/software integration.

I understand they are constrained to current technology/standards and companies like intel but I would think if you are writing the OS and you produce the hardware you could do a lot more then Dell and the other PC manufactures.

It seems to me like the software(OS) developers and hardware engineers at Apple work on completely opposite sides of the Apple campus and its only the managers that are talking to one another...

2. TrapOx macrumors 6502

Apple is a business first and foremost and profit is one of their primary concerns.

Innovative and useful sells lots of machines. Radical and unusual does not.

They made gambles like that in the past and lost a good deal of money. The cube, the 20th Anniversary Macintosh, the Pippin and the Lisa just to name a few.

3. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

I think this is true.

Maybe we will see a touch OS soon? :eek:

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

1. What does this thread have to do with the Mac Pro?
    2. OS XI won't be out until 2020.

5. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

How about they give us BluRay first? :rolleyes:

6. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Jobs said BluRay "is a bag of hurt". I doubt you will see it any time soon.

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

8. rylin macrumors 6502

You know, it would've been nice if you could actually come up with an example instead of rambling on about perceived genericness.

9. inigel macrumors regular

inigel

I am sick of seeing this quote every time someone mentions Blu-ray.

I reckon the last time Apple did something "radical" was when they introduced the iMac G4. I am yet to see another computer that looks so good.

10. svndmvn Guest

on a side note, if I google "bag of hurt" all I'm given are Steve Jobs quotes:)
    anyway, Apple gave us multitouch, great integration with dashboard/expose', innovative unibody stuff. Apple is of course becoming more consumer-friendly, I'm not sure if I'm replying correctly to the kind of vague OP, since Apple aficionados and newbies/PC users are scared of something too different, that's what always scared off curious strangers to Macs, and the ones that already use Mac OS are often scared of something different from what they're used to. Apple is just trying to please everyone. It's actually what they, in my opinion, do as well when they update or re-haul a product, nothing radical but still something that can make you want to upgrade for the small things. Quite often, the ones that bought the "old, outdated" machines don't feel cheated either, look at how many refurbs are sold when available!

11. ggg05a macrumors regular

ggg05a

I'm no Mac expert but 2020 for XI/11 . . . whatever? That would be retarded. Many people thought Leopard was the last release of X and Snow Leopard was a surprise for many. By that time the original OS X code would be 20 years old. . . . like Windows 95 still being mainstream.

Or you could have been being factious, I can't tell over vB. :rolleyes:

--Garrett

12. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Jobs himself said that OS X set them up for the next twenty years. My date is being optimistic. Who are these morons who thought that Leopard was the last? What reasoning would they have had for that?

13. Ploki macrumors 68000

like it matters
    its just a number...
    at this moment, XI and X.6 would mean the same ;P
    i prefer the X.6.
    at least they have more logical version designation then windows

why not make something drastical? because people are USED to certain kind of things.

why Volkswagen doesnt make a car which has the steering wheel on the back seats?

14. TrapOx macrumors 6502

No, it will be a very different OS. Look at the past. Is OS9 much like OS8? IS OS8 much like OS7? How about 7 and 6?

15. inigel macrumors regular

inigel

Windows 95 was about already about 15 years old when it was released. It was built off DOS which was at least 15 years old at the time.