Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lostngone

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 11, 2003
Anchorage
Apple controls the OS and the Hardware.

They are in a unique situation in the Desktop world. I don't understand why we are not seeing more radical designs/ideas out of them. They are currently making very nice systems but they are really not that different from the other PC manufactures offerings.

I would think that they could be doing a lot more with hardware/software integration.

I understand they are constrained to current technology/standards and companies like intel but I would think if you are writing the OS and you produce the hardware you could do a lot more then Dell and the other PC manufactures.

It seems to me like the software(OS) developers and hardware engineers at Apple work on completely opposite sides of the Apple campus and its only the managers that are talking to one another...

TrapOx

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
Denver
I don't understand why we are not seeing more radical designs/ideas out of them.

Apple is a business first and foremost and profit is one of their primary concerns.

Innovative and useful sells lots of machines. Radical and unusual does not.

They made gambles like that in the past and lost a good deal of money. The cube, the 20th Anniversary Macintosh, the Pippin and the Lisa just to name a few.

rylin

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2006
It seems to me like the software(OS) developers and hardware engineers at Apple work on completely opposite sides of the Apple campus and its only the managers that are talking to one another...

You know, it would've been nice if you could actually come up with an example instead of rambling on about perceived genericness.

inigel

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2008
No where
Jobs said BluRay "is a bag of hurt". I doubt you will see it any time soon.

I am sick of seeing this quote every time someone mentions Blu-ray.

I reckon the last time Apple did something "radical" was when they introduced the iMac G4. I am yet to see another computer that looks so good.

svndmvn

Nov 6, 2007
Italy
I am sick of seeing this quote every time someone mentions Blu-ray.

I reckon the last time Apple did something "radical" was when they introduced the iMac G4. I am yet to see another computer that looks so good.

on a side note, if I google "bag of hurt" all I'm given are Steve Jobs quotes:)
anyway, Apple gave us multitouch, great integration with dashboard/expose', innovative unibody stuff. Apple is of course becoming more consumer-friendly, I'm not sure if I'm replying correctly to the kind of vague OP, since Apple aficionados and newbies/PC users are scared of something too different, that's what always scared off curious strangers to Macs, and the ones that already use Mac OS are often scared of something different from what they're used to. Apple is just trying to please everyone. It's actually what they, in my opinion, do as well when they update or re-haul a product, nothing radical but still something that can make you want to upgrade for the small things. Quite often, the ones that bought the "old, outdated" machines don't feel cheated either, look at how many refurbs are sold when available!

ggg05a

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2009
I'm no Mac expert but 2020 for XI/11 . . . whatever? That would be retarded. Many people thought Leopard was the last release of X and Snow Leopard was a surprise for many. By that time the original OS X code would be 20 years old. . . . like Windows 95 still being mainstream.

Or you could have been being factious, I can't tell over vB. :rolleyes:

--Garrett

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I'm no Mac expert but 2020 for XI/11 . . . whatever? That would be retarded. Many people thought Leopard was the last release of X and Snow Leopard was a surprise for many. By that time the original OS X code would be 20 years old. . . . like Windows 95 still being mainstream.

Jobs himself said that OS X set them up for the next twenty years. My date is being optimistic. Who are these morons who thought that Leopard was the last? What reasoning would they have had for that?

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
like it matters
its just a number...
at this moment, XI and X.6 would mean the same ;P
i prefer the X.6.
at least they have more logical version designation then windows

why not make something drastical? because people are USED to certain kind of things.

why Volkswagen doesnt make a car which has the steering wheel on the back seats?

inigel

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2008
No where
By that time the original OS X code would be 20 years old. . . . like Windows 95 still being mainstream.

Windows 95 was about already about 15 years old when it was released. It was built off DOS which was at least 15 years old at the time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.