Why isn't Apple Releasing Different iPhones?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mumty, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Mumty macrumors newbie

They would make more money if they released different versions of the iPhone, like Android. I mean people buy iPhones for different reason. People who buy iPhones for buisness certainly wouldn't want music, and would want more buisness feature like a built in PDF reader etc. etc.

So why wont Apple branch out into different iPhones? Wouldnt it make buisness sense?

2. Minhthien macrumors 6502

Are you serious?

3. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Androids are made by many different companies. iPhones are all made by Apple.

It's far easier (and less confusing to the public) to make one phone that can do everything instead of segmenting their own market and having to deal with multiple versions and abilities.

Besides, when they're already outselling their competitors, where is the business motivation to change things?

4. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

The "One phone for everyone" model has worked out well for everyone thus far.

5. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

Just wait... Apple's reasons for the delayed iPhone 5 will be because it has two models: one having an amazing physical keyboard.

Hey, I can dream, can't I?

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

They seem do be doing just fine selling one model.

7. old-wiz macrumors G3

Isn't Apple pretty much selling every iPhone they can make? Why would they need another model?

8. fizzwinkus macrumors 6502a

I would ask which task does the iPhone excel at and fail at? Music playing or PDF reading - and how would a second, different model iPhone help at one task but not the other?

9. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Everything you listed is software related, not hardware related. So, you're basically saying for Apple to release the same physical iPhone but have artificial software limitations (ex. no iPod app on "Business iPhones")?

I think Apple's best way is their current way. Same with OS X. I like how they release one version - and it's the best version.

10. fizzwinkus macrumors 6502a

I do think eventually we will have a sort of regular version and nano version, but I don't know how iOS and retina displays will handle it.

Physical size will be the differentiator, not business or music playing.

11. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

From John Gruber:

12. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

You do realize that even the iPhone 3GS which by tech standards is ancient still outsells any model of Android phone, right?

Why would the change... they seem to have the winning strategy.

13. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

to differentiate iPhones all you got to do is buy the apps you need for business, pleasure or both ;)

14. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Apple is doing very well off with their one model strategy. Plus, it keeps the decision easier for people wanting to buy. They only have to choose between features they know about (ex. colour, amount of memory, and carrier). They don't have to worry about technical jargon that means nothing to them (such as processor speed, amount of ram, etc.) This is the same point made in the below post containing the quote (3 posts up).

15. wvphysics macrumors regular

You mean like they do for their computers...err wait nm. Apple prefers to control the hardware in order to ensure the software and hardware work more reliably, securely, and uniformly.

16. MacBpro macrumors member

Both samsung and HTC offers a lof of models... but are you doing to buy???

Lots of choices DOES NOT EQUAL TO QUALITY PRODUCTS

17. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

iPhone is DESIGNED by Apple. Made in China. They can design more than 1. Samsung does it, HTC does it. Pretty much everyone else does it.

18. fizzwinkus macrumors 6502a

Pretty much everyone else is making pennies compared to apple as well.
    There can be a case for it, but just saying everyone else is doing it seems like an argument against adding more concurrent designs.

19. sam2428 macrumors 6502

Although I agree it would be nice as not everyone may want a candybar phone, but I also dont think its necessary. I cant really imagine a "flip" iphone which would require a smaller screen. The only thing I can probably see happening is slide out qwerty keyboard, or maybe a blackberry style keyboard.

Either way, i doubt it would happen.

The current phone works for the majority of people and will continue to until the next big fad/game changing technology (what ever that may be).