Why isn't apple supporting latest port/connection options in its macbook pros?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kudukudu, Feb 13, 2009.

1. kudukudu macrumors regular

When I purchased a powerbook 4-5 years ago it had DVI, s-video, fw-800. It had so many cutting edge ports that competitors' laptops looked like they were in the stone age.

With my newer macbook pro (core duo not core-2-duo), I was still happy with the port technologies, but I noticed the conspicuous absence of fw-800. I also noticed the absence of the s-video port without any kind of replacement port.

On the latest macbook pros there is support for display port, but there are no cables available to convert to hdmi. When I look at a Dell it has display port, hdmi, esata, 8-in-1 media card reader, etc.

Don't get me wrong the newest macbook pros seem really cool with the whole single piece of aluminum thing (no one else in the industry is even close when it comes to laptop design), but what good is the coolest design if you can't connect the peripherals you need?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

The MacBook Pro has only FireWire 800.

S-Video... Why?

There is a Mini DisplayPort-HDMI adapter being made in March.

Card readers will never go in a Mac.

3. kudukudu thread starter macrumors regular

I guarantee that my macbook pro has fw-400 and does not have fw-800 (it is right in front of me). My powerbook has both fw-400 and fw-800. Keep in mind that there have been quite a few different revisions of the 15" macbook pro.

Is it possible to plug a macboook pro into both a monitor and an hdmi based device using a splitter? I am assuming no. If this is true, it makes sense to have both a display port and hdmi.

What about e-sata? Why not include a card reader?

Again, it is possible to have religious debates until the cows come home about whether a particular port technology should be there or not, but I think my point still stands that Apple used to be leaps and bounds ahead of the competition with using cutting edge port technologies and now the rest of the market has caught up and in some cases surpassed Apple.

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

So you're looking at a three year old first-gen Core Duo MacBook Pro. Bad example.

Um, what HDMI-based device? There are port splitters in existence.

eSATA is a... flaky port at best.

Talk to Jonathan Ive about a card reader; Apple won't sacrifice the aesthetics.

That's also what you can use the ExpressCard/34 slot for.

What, like ADB? Sure... :rolleyes:

Just because other people put seven USB on their computers doesn't mean they're better.:D

Apple is killing FireWire entirely, and they will support USB 3.0 when it comes out.

HDMI is a TV standard, anyway. I've never understood why it is on computers.

5. kudukudu thread starter macrumors regular

Why is this a bad example? I have a 5 year old powerbook that has both fw-400 and fw-800. My 3 year old macbook pro only has fw-400. This is a reduction in functionality. (which is the point I am trying to make).

I don't have much personal experience with eSATA, but I know a number of people who use it for backing up windows PCs who haven't had any problems and it is definitely fast. If there are problems with the technology then I can see why Apple doesn't include it.

How about plugging your laptop into a 60" HD TV to show vacation photos? I suppose if a display port to hdmi converter cable is coming out then this is fine.

6. Horst Guest

Amen to that .

Seems to me Apple is on the brink of becoming a gadget-only maker.

Time will tell if they'll find their way back to delivering cutting edge technology to 'power users' .
    Just when they caught up with the PC world in terms of processor power, they started throwing away usability, sad really.

Users like Tallest Skill , who never used a Mac in a professional environment, and don't work with programs and files requiring an elaborate set-up, will happily tag along, will not care about eSATA and Firewire superiority and buy whatever they are offered.

7. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

If that is your opinion of tallest skil, you must not spend much time here. Tallest skil is probably the most elitist forum member. I say that with affection, tallest skil... hahaha.

8. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

Hyperbole.....

S-

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Are not those 35-in-one memory card readers built into some laptops the very definition of "gadgets?"

As for some of the other things, which do seem necessary to users in some fields, have you tried writing Steve Jobs directly with your concerns in a relatively concise and non-incendiary manner? You cannot expect us who have no interest in these things to advocate for you.

10. brand macrumors 601

brand

Have you even looked at any of the MBP offerings since your first generation MBP? All have offered FW800.

11. aristobrat macrumors G4

It's a bad example in the sense that of the 12 models of PowerBooks/MacBook Pros, it's the SINGLE MODEL that didn't include FW400+FW800 connectivity.

Every MacBook Pro model made subsequent to the one you're using as an example has been able to connect to both FW400+FW800.

12. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Some would say the mini-DisplayPort is pretty cutting edge.

13. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Perhaps not elitist as much as I am PROletist.

As in, the professionals should be the ones dictating hardware, not Apple.

We are end-users who know what we want in hardware–know what we NEED in hardware–and can utilize it.

None of this Atom/Ion combo crap for us. Can I get a, "Hear, hear!"?

Proletist. I like it. :cool: