Why isn't auto-brightness.......auto?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by creativedogmedia, Oct 6, 2012.

1. creativedogmedia macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

Do you keep this setting on? If so, why doesn't it seem to work? Anyone else have this issue?

2. cheezeit macrumors 6502

3. AndyK macrumors 65816

AndyK

Mine seems to sometimes work and sometimes not, I think it depends which side of the bed it wakes up on in the morning.

4. CatsTide macrumors 6502

It doesn't adjust constantly. Only when you first turn it on. It would be too funky if it adjusted on the fly.

5. davehutch macrumors 6502a

davehutch

It does adjust on the fly. You can watch the brightness slider move in front of your eyes :)
    You need to adjust it manually in different settings so it "learns" your preferences and then just leave it to its own devices

6. Avatarshark macrumors regular

And this is has already been posted to death.

7. cynics macrumors G3

It wasn't until I did a restore that mine started working. It used to only brighten but never dim, that may have been normal in iOS 5. Once I did a restore I'll see it dim when walking from outside to inside....

8. CatsTide macrumors 6502

Hmm...maybe mine doesn't work then. I've never witnessed this.
    I wanna puke every time I see a post like this.

9. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

I prefer to toggle this as 'off' and set the brightness pointer to just over the two 'ss' in Brightness.

10. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

Dont you would end up vomiting your guts out and it still wouldn't cease to happen...

I like to keep it on but manually adjust it a bit, in the dark i feel it is too bright and under sunlight too dark... meh.

11. danielceleste macrumors regular

The autobrightness setting in iOS 6 works like a best thermostat. It learns. For example, I you want your phone to be on full brightness in sunlight, it will remember. If you want it half way in your office (assuming lighting in your office is consistent) it will remember. You'll have to play with it a lot at the beginning, but then it gets better slowly.

12. creativedogmedia thread starter macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

Source?

13. jacobss macrumors 6502

same here, I thought it wasn't working at first but now I got it.

14. pullfocus macrumors 6502a

pullfocus

Let's just call the source "Deep Throat."

15. danielceleste macrumors regular

I conducted a Google search a couple of days after iOS 6 came out and came across an article explaining the concept. Instantly, I started noticing that this is exactly how autobrightness works on iOS 6. (I know that's not much of a source but I can't find it! :( )

16. creativedogmedia thread starter macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

No problemo. Good to know - I'll give it another shot

17. roxxette macrumors 68000

roxxette

Meh manual all the way, would be great if whe can have separate toggles like minimum brightness and the max.

18. Arelunde macrumors 6502a

Arelunde

Thanks for this information. I've found it will pretty much keep it at whatever brightness level you set, adjusting it according to the ambient light at the time. it's really very helpful.

I'm wondering if there isn't an app that will allow brightness changes from the home screen. I had an android - *gasp* - and there was a home-screen app that would allow brightness shifts on the fly. It was very handy in bright sunlight situations where the screen was totally impossible to see. I kept the icon in the lower corner so I could click it back to full brightness "by touch."

19. WildGuess macrumors regular

There's an app for that

I'm wondering if there isn't an app that will allow brightness changes from the home screen. I had an android - *gasp* - and there was a home-screen app that would allow brightness shifts on the fly. It was very handy in bright sunlight situations where the screen was totally impossible to see. I kept the icon in the lower corner so I could click it back to full brightness "by touch."

Wait for it: GASP! Dimmer.

20. danielceleste macrumors regular

Gasp indeed!!!!! :eek:
    Just kidding!

Anyways, Apple does allow devs to change the system wide brightness, but that brightness level will only stay that way until the screen is locked. For example, if I use Launch Center Pro to change the brightness from 50% to 100%, it will stay that way until I lock the screen. As soon as I turn on the display once again, the brightness will be back at 50%.

21. Pattycerts macrumors 6502

Someone posted the Apple quote on their support forum:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4310939?start=60&tstart=0

22. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

I thought the new auto brightness only works on multicore iOS devices?
    Single core devices keep the old method for brightness adjustment.

23. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

Mine doesn't work either.. it's always the same brightness although I have it on.

Guess I just don't care enough to bother figuring it out.

Hoping the next iOS patch will fix some serious bugs :D

24. urkel macrumors 68030

IMO, Brightness is one of those settings that should be available through the task switcher so it can be easily accessed (along with WiFi).

Im not sure if this is what Auto-Brightness is supposed to do, but what I've always wanted is for my iPhone to detect when it's pitch black out and I only need the minimal lighting. I hate waking up at 2AM and turning on the phone just to get blinded by an 80% brightness.

25. wonder-boy macrumors newbie

wonder-boy

Came on here to post about this, i found if i had the slider set to 50% and brightness to auto - it totally failed! At night i would be dazzled and during the day i could see ok as the brightness was rather high.

Anyway if i adjusted the brightness to below 50% to say 30% and set auto on it works flawlessly.

:)