Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saltyeagle

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2013
You have to remember the premise behind a Google Edition device. It gets (or at least should) all the updates quicker than other devices. That will mean more support (by either Google or the manufacturer) and in turn less reason to upgrade year to year. In the big picture, it would be a head scratching move.

jeffe

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
You have to remember the premise behind a Google Edition device. It gets (or at least should) all the updates quicker than other devices. That will mean more support (by either Google or the manufacturer) and in turn less reason to upgrade year to year. In the big picture, it would be a head scratching move.

OEMs have to remain competitive. I also think it is smart to target the enthusiasts as these are the people who will be loudest when people are determining which smart phone to get.

On the flipside, the work involved to update a device to just the latest AOSP version will be much less costlier for the OEM vs having to integrate their skin/changes.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Is it?

You have the Galaxy S4, HTC One, Xperia Z, or anything else.

Looking at the overall smartphone market (most customers won't look only at Android):

• iPhone 5
  • Galaxy S4
  • HTC One
  • Xperia Z
  • Nexus 4 (somewhat well known due to the popularity of the Nexus 7 plus it's got cheap deals on contract)
  • Lumia 925
  • BlackBerry Z10
  • BlackBerry Q10

I can't help but agree that if there were Google Editions of every Android flagship, it would confuse customers even more.

tjl3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
I know you can modify this by installing your own launcher, but did it bother anyone else that by default, the homescreen is still 4x4 on the GS4 running stock Android?

Dmunjal

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
I've been using Galaxy S phones ever since the S2. TW was tolerable and stylistically it has gotten better. But it also seems that it's getting too bloated and not optimized enough. Maybe Samsung will release an update to fix this. I'm done waiting and will be getting the Google Edition on 6/26.

Besides, I've been slowly using third party launchers and apps to replace TW. Hope I won't notice anything important missing.

As far as the extra cost, there really isn't. If I have an upgrade, I'll just buy a subsidized model from the carrier and sell it using the difference to pay for the S4 GE.

Last edited:

alex2792

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2009
Google doesn't want to maintain 20 different phones. It takes away resources that could be used for development.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I know you can modify this by installing your own launcher, but did it bother anyone else that by default, the homescreen is still 4x4 on the GS4 running stock Android?

That is one of the only reasons I use nova on my nexus. To change the grid layout and make the icons small...they just seem to large to me especially with 4x4.

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
The more I think about it, the more I reach the conclusion the main reason I always wanted stock was because of that performance boost.

But once that honeymoon period is over, the nice additions from sense or touchwiz start making me want to go back to a skinned device.

Now touchwiz has become more bloated now, but last year when I bought the s3 it was quite clean and light atleast in my experience. JB was already out on galaxy nexus however the same issues as before, camera, LTE, storage, battery, software features, made me skip it and get the s3. I remember using it for full three months and never even rooted it, just nova. And the phone was delightful to use, except I could never get comfortable with an AMOLED screen. That screen actually pushed me to get an iPhone 5, everything else was perfect.

Today it's the same dilemma and we are at the exact same spot except the fact that there is a google edition gs4 now. But if the camera is degraded, it will be a tough buy for me.

I just wish Samsung had worked on further cleaning touchwiz instead of making a U turn to pre-ICS era and add a lot more bloat which is not very well thought. That is probably the reason I started hating them, I had high hopes for s4 using a lighter skin with more cohesive and refined elements but it stayed the same and added more. That is why htc is on radar, their sense 5 is actually what touchwiz aimed last year....

I hope Samsung will come to its senses by the note 3, but if sales are still strong and they think they don't have to do any spring cleaning, it will get worse. This is the time for moto, lg, Sony, htc to take advantage and shine. Stock or not, all they need is a lighter skin that doesn't kill performance, a good camera, and tons of marketing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.