Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Maaz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 13, 2010
Just wondering? How is a huge app/store such as iBooks not built in the iPad? It's like not having the app store or iTunes store built in.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
Just wondering? How is a huge app/store such as iBooks not built in the iPad? It's like not having the app store or iTunes store built in.

so they can update the ibooks app without having to wait for a new os update.

glowrider

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2003
Don't complain - it may be the saving grace for getting Kindle or B&N apps on the iPad, plus it is easier to update that way...

(And that's probably a big reason why it isn't built in...disallowing those apps would be a big headache for Apple, imho, and a pita to upgrade if necessary)

greg555

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2005
Canada
My guess is that some countries won't have the book store ready at launch time. So this way they only let people in countries with the iBook store download it.

Greg

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
1) Release date for it in other countries is not the same time. IE the iBookstore isn't ready in other countries.

2) I would rather have almost no built in's. Why waste space if you're not going to use them?

Maaz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 13, 2010
Good points guys.
Not being released at the same time in other countries is one.
And I didn't realize that to update a built in app you need a firmware update. I hope we see many good updates for this app.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
They really should add it by default to the North American model at least. I bet more than a few people will be confused by the lack of iBooks when the iPad is labelled as an eReader among other titles.

Abyssgh0st

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2009
Colorado
I love the ingenuity of Apple on this one. So many reasons to not include it natively, and the fact I like most is that it won't require a system firmware update to update the application; meaning we will see many improvements to the app on a consistent basis.

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007
I'm suspecting it's because it wont be available to all countries at launch. I'm also suspecting that there will be some places where it will never be available.

duky

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
North Carolina
It also avoids potential anti-competitive practices. Remember people bitching about how IE was built into Windows instead of providing an option?

Agree with this for the reason it's not built-in. Allows B&N and Kindle to put their apps on there without having to stick to the "duplicating functionality" story

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.