Why isn't iBooks preinstalled?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by maclook, Mar 18, 2012.

1. maclook macrumors 65816

It's the same with Find My iPhone and Find My Friends. iBooks is significantly more important though and should probably come preinstalled.

2. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

What's so "significantly important" about iBooks that it should be preinstalled on every iPad?

3. doboy macrumors 68000

4. imeth macrumors regular

iPads are tablets which are book readers

5. maclook thread starter macrumors 65816

Um Apple just had a whole keynote about textbooks.........

----------

Hmm, that's interesting. Good point.

6. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

Um not every iPad user is a student or needs to read textbooks.

What's the big deal anyway? Why is downloading a small app like iBooks such a burden to you that you feel it should come installed on every iPad made?

Nope. Tablets are content consumption devices, which include web browsing, email, video display, audio playback, etc., as well as book readers.

7. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

So it's not installed. What's the big deal? Installing it takes what, 45 seconds? A minute tops?

8. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

While we are at it, why no calculator or weather program?

9. iHuman1337 macrumors newbie

iBooks is at least more important than Newsstand so yeah...

10. maclook thread starter macrumors 65816

Dude, you're a really unpleasant person.

----------

Not really a question of inconvenience. Just wondering why some free Apple apps are preinstalled and can't be deleted while others, primarily iBooks, isn't.

11. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

I think Apple does this on purpose so you will connect to the App Store an begin your exploration of available apps.

Marketing at its finest.

12. d0vr macrumors 6502a

These are more important to me than iBooks.

13. admanimal macrumors 68040

The correct answer is so that the apps (like iBooks) can be updated independently of the OS.

Things like Newsstand (which is not an app in the first place) and Gamecenter come with the OS because they more tightly integrated with it and need to be present to provide services to other apps.

14. IllIllIll, Mar 18, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2012

IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

Why? Because I'm asking questions that you have no good answers for?

The bottom line is, it takes very little effort and time to download the iBooks app to your iPad. Pretty conceited of you to think that just because you think it's an important app means everyone should have it on their iPad when that storage space could be used for other apps.

15. maclook thread starter macrumors 65816

I think having their 3 stores (App Store, iTunes and iBooks) sitting on the Home screen would be better business wise.

----------

Thanks. Good to see commenters who either have the answers or know how to discuss.

----------

I would take both of those over Reminders (but maybe that's because I have an iPhone with that feature).

16. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

Seriously? Get over yourself. This is how this thread has progressed:

You: I think iBooks should come preinstalled because it's a significantly important app.
    Me: Why is it significantly important?
    You: Textbooks
    Me: What's so hard or time consuming about installing iBooks on your own?
    You: YOU'RE AN UNPLEASANT PERSON! *CRY*

:rolleyes:

17. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Agreed, and I was actually just wondering about this yesterday. Kind of stupid that the worthless Newsstand app/folder/whatever is forever stuck on my device, but iBooks isn't there unless I go download it. :confused:

18. Database macrumors member

I agree it should be preinstalled. However, it is not a big deal to install manually.

19. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

I would have no problem with iBooks being preinstalled, as long as I could delete it. Unfortunately, that's usually not an option with preinstalled apps.

People complain all the time about manufacturer and carrier-installed bloatware on their mobile devices. I don't see why iBooks should be any different. It's not an essential app that needs to be permanently installed on the iPad.

20. k3ith macrumors regular

k3ith

I think it more has to do with anti trust issues. I think Microsoft got in a lot of trouble back in the day because they only preinstalled their software or something?

I think Apple is trying to do what they can to make the iPad equal opportunity in regards to ebook sales. And to keep antitrust cases from being filed.

21. maclook thread starter macrumors 65816

I thought that mighta been it but then there's the App Store and iTunes. The former has no competition and probably won't for a very long time. I don't see any reason why an eBookstore would be treated differently than the app and music stores.

22. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

Because 3rd party apps are not allowed to emulate functions that are included with the operating system. If iBooks was included there would be no Kindle or Nook store.

23. k3ith macrumors regular

k3ith

Hmm, well, I don't know-- I'm not a lawyer, just a TV producer. :p But I imagine that it has to do something with that.

I was actually really surprised when then allowed the kindle and nook apps on the iPad, because they never would allow apps that replicated apple's own software. As long as apple gets their 30%, I guess they don't mind.

24. mrochester macrumors 68000

This is what I assume it's to do with.