Why isn't iPhoto the default for opening photos?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Mikebike125, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Mikebike125 macrumors 6502

Mikebike125

This completely baffles me. If someone sends me a photo in an email, and I want to have iPhoto import it, I right click on the photo and it says "Open with", and brings up a list of programs, Firefox, Realplayer, Quicktime, Preview, and a bunch of others but it NEVER shows iPhoto. I have to click on "Other" and then go and find iPhoto and then select it. Why does it not have iPhoto as the default for opening a photo? When I simply double click on the photo, it will open it in Preview so it still isn't in my iPhoto library.

Why does it do this? I want iPhoto to either be the default for opening up a photo or at a minimum be on the list of "Open with" programs. Does anyone know how to fix this?

I am using Snow Leopard. Thanks

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Most people don't want to import the picture into iPhoto, just view it. You can make iPhoto the default by highlighting the photo, pressing Command-I, in the Open With menu change it to iPhoto, then click Change All.

3. oLNutjob macrumors member

oLNutjob

iPhoto imports all photos into one proprietary chunk, which is bad news for photographers.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The iPhoto library is just an oddly organized folder with a special extension. The original photos are still in there and can be extracted and used.

5. Mikebike125 thread starter macrumors 6502

Mikebike125

I hit Command-I and it brought up the "iPhoto.app info" window. I didn't see anywhere the Change all check box is. Where is it?

6. simsaladimbamba

You have to do that with an image or photo, as there are different formats like JPEG, CR2, NEF, PNG and so forth.

7. jamesvdm macrumors regular

jamesvdm