Why isn't MagSafe Grounded

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by rs7, Nov 8, 2008.

1. rs7 macrumors regular

I know it would require a redesign of the square white adapter thing, but how come the MagSafe's main plug doesn't have a ground? I know the extension cord has one, but why use something so big and bulk when you don't need an extension? The ground just makes more sense since it has a less chance of falling out, especially with a big white thing hanging on it.

On a side note, when I got my new aluminum MacBook replaced, it didn't have the extension cord...though it could possibly be because the Genius noticed I didn't bring it and he just didn't tell me he took it out of the replacement's box.

2. vorkorsigan macrumors member

The unit itself doesn't need a ground as long as it is double insulated, which it will be but I agree it isn't so stable without the ground pin. Have you tried the airport express? Bigger and heavier and feels less stable but I have had one in the wall for over a month and it's still there so I guess it works!

If you check the UK adapter for the power supplies it has a 3rd pin for ground but is also 3 times bigger than the US version. Personally I will accept a bit of instability for the ability to close the pins for travel. Try living in the UK with their plugs for a few years and you will think how lucky you are here in North America.