Why isn't my desktop picture changing?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by C00KiE, Jun 9, 2009.

1. C00KiE macrumors member

C00KiE

I can't change the picture on my desktop. I click the picture thats under desktop and nothing happens. Also, I am unable to select any icons from my desktop. I have to click on "finder" in order to select anything from my desktop. What's wrong???

2. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

Not sure what you are trying to do. Click "System Preferences" and than click on "Desktop & Screen Savers"

3. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

So in System preferences, in the desktop section, you can't click any pictures? (or clicking doesn't change the desktop).

What about dragging a picture from finder into the little preview box in system preferences?

As for not being able to select icons on your desktop, that is strange. Try repairing permissions (Find Disk Utility in HDD/Applications/Utilities folder)

4. C00KiE thread starter macrumors member

C00KiE

^^^ what does that do? I clicked repair permissions. When it was done, nothing changed. Still unable to select anything from my desktop.

and I'm also unable to drag anything from pictures in the finder to the desktop.

5. Nanookfan macrumors member

Just curious, have you tried doing a restart? Better yet, restarting into Safe Boot mode?

6. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

repairing permissions somtimes solves problems, even big ones. There are some more steps, click the link in my signature below and scroll down to the troubleshooting steps

7. C00KiE thread starter macrumors member

C00KiE

ok i restarted my computer. That fixed the problem:rolleyes: I should of did that first.

8. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

haha yes, it should always be one of the first steps. Repair permissions, reboot, and see if the problem clears.

Did that solve the desktop icon problem too? You said you couldn't click on anything.

9. C00KiE thread starter macrumors member

C00KiE

^^^^Yes it did, I'm now able to click the icons from the desktop:D.