Why Isn't SummerBoard 1.1.1 in Installer.app?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by TheSpaz, Oct 17, 2007.

1. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Why doesn't someone just put SummerBoard 1.1.1 in the Installer.app so that nobody has to manually install it. It can't be too hard to do. Maybe you could even add a note that it's only for 1.1.1 firmware or something. I think most people upgraded to 1.1.1 by now.

2. triela macrumors member

The 3rd party apps are updated regularly through the Community Sources package of Installer.app. There have been several hacks and fixes that have been added in small bunches over the past couple of weeks, even. You just have to be patient. (Also, Summerboard 1.1.1 is still only in alpha, I believe.)

3. Yuck Mouth macrumors member

In my installer on my Touch I have something called summerboard 2.11. Does that me I already have it installed?

4. recover82 macrumors member

recover82

..and it's even less difficult to install it manually.

[copied from iPodtouchfans forums]
    iPod Touch - Summer Board Install Guide

Ok, so here it is. I know a lot of people have been having trouble with SummerBoard and so I took the time to replicate the problem on my iPod Touch and worked through the entire process to get it up and running. Please pay close attention to the 10 steps below. You can do this!

1. You'll obviously need a jailbroken iPod Touch and installer.app.

2. Using installer on your iPod Touch, install Summer Board 2.11.

3. Restart your iPod Touch. When your device boots back up, do NOT worry if your dock is stuck at the top of the screen. Mine was too at this point!

4. Download this: http://www.nullriver.com/~zigzag/SummerBoard.zip

5. Extract the files to a folder using WinZip, WinRar, or your other program of choice for extracting files.

6. Open up your newly extracted folder.

7. Using WinSCP, CyberDuck (for all you mac users), or your program of choice, SSH into your iPod Touch. You'll need WiFi for this. For those that don't know how to find your IP and such...here you go:
    Settings > WiFi > Under your network name tap on the blue arrow > IP Address.

Type that into your connection box.
    User: root
    Password: alpine

8. This is where it gets a little bit tricky, so pay close attention! Once you've SSH'd into your device navigate to these folders one at a time, delete the file/folder below in parenthesis, and replace it with the file you have just downloaded:
    /Library/Frameworks/ (SummerBoard.framework)

/Applications/ (SMBPrefs.app)

/var/root/Library/SummerBoard/ (Themes)

/System/Library/LaunchDaemons/ (com.apple.SpringBoard.plist)

9. Once you have successfully replaced these 4 files / folders set all permissions on the new files / folders to 0755. This will give you the ability to read, write, and execute on each file. In the case of a folder, make sure the permissions are set recursively (this means on every file in the subdirectory).

To set permissions using WinSCP, right click on the file or folder, go to properties. Then simply type in 0755 under octal. Hit ok and repeat for all the new files.

10. Restart your iPod Touch by holding down the top button until you get a slider to 'turn power off.' Do this and then hit the top button to boot up your iPod Touch. If you have done everything correctly then you will be looking at a fixed dock and you will be able to use SummerBoard!

Don't forget that you can also install more themes with SummerBoard from the installer application now. Enjoy!
    [/copied from iPodtouchfans forums]

did you install it? if not, then you don't have it. to see what IS installed, look in the "Uninstall" list.

5. Qianlong macrumors regular

how do you set permissions using Cyberduck???

6. uburoibob macrumors regular

Using Get Info, and you manually set them for read/write access, instead of trying to find where to type 755.

7. iamoky macrumors newbie

hi...i followed exactly wut u told me a few times but it still doesn't seem to work. I installed and uninstall summerboard but still it is still on top. Although SMBPrefs is working fine, I just can't get the top bar working..

nvm...i got it :p

8. thetoucher macrumors newbie

pleasee i need help with
    Send a message via AIM to recover82

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheSpaz View Post
    It can't be too hard to do.
    ..and it's even less difficult to install it manually.

[copied from iPodtouchfans forums]
    iPod Touch - Summer Board Install Guide

Ok, so here it is. I know a lot of people have been having trouble with SummerBoard and so I took the time to replicate the problem on my iPod Touch and worked through the entire process to get it up and running. Please pay close attention to the 10 steps below. You can do this!

1. You'll obviously need a jailbroken iPod Touch and installer.app.

2. Using installer on your iPod Touch, install Summer Board 2.11.

3. Restart your iPod Touch. When your device boots back up, do NOT worry if your dock is stuck at the top of the screen. Mine was too at this point!

4. Download this: http://www.nullriver.com/~zigzag/SummerBoard.zip

5. Extract the files to a folder using WinZip, WinRar, or your other program of choice for extracting files.

6. Open up your newly extracted folder.

7. Using WinSCP, CyberDuck (for all you mac users), or your program of choice, SSH into your iPod Touch. You'll need WiFi for this. For those that don't know how to find your IP and such...here you go:
    Settings > WiFi > Under your network name tap on the blue arrow > IP Address.

Type that into your connection box.
    User: root
    Password: alpine

8. This is where it gets a little bit tricky, so pay close attention! Once you've SSH'd into your device navigate to these folders one at a time, delete the file/folder below in parenthesis, and replace it with the file you have just downloaded:
    /Library/Frameworks/ (SummerBoard.framework)

/Applications/ (SMBPrefs.app)

/var/root/Library/SummerBoard/ (Themes)

/System/Library/LaunchDaemons/ (com.apple.SpringBoard.plist)

where do u find them i sshed into my ipod i just dont know where to find these cases

9. leckie macrumors member

Mine doesn't have framework anywhere...

Ignore me I wasn't in the root. I did **** up my iPod and have to restore though :p. Here goes attempt two.

10. leckie macrumors member

I've followed the steps above to the T three times now and each time it makes my iPod stall at the apple logo. I used iJailbreak then installed summerboard 2.1.1 from install.app then followed the steps after downloading the files. What could I be doing wrong?

11. g00f macrumors newbie

No luck either

Bricked my touch again following this procedure, theres something wrong with the permissions that freezes it on reboot, just reinstalled and jailbroke it again for the 3rd time. Everything runs fine, but as soon as i try to update the Summerboard from the previous Touchfree 6 install it dies again. I think I'll wait for a more confirmed upgrade process. First bricking occurred cause of permissions, i figured this tutorial would address it more, but same result, thankfully restore runs perfectly.

12. Chris F macrumors regular

Im not sure why the heck you would want to install the busted version of Summerboard...

1. Uninstall the package version of Summerboard.
    2. Go here: http://www.apptapp.com/summerboard/
    3. Download the 1.1.1 alpha release.
    4. FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS IN THE ZIP FILE

Sorry for the caps but really its not that hard....

13. leckie macrumors member

It's not hard but I keep getting conflicting information, everywhere seems to tell me to install the version from the install app then upload the new files and chmod them.

14. Chris F macrumors regular

I think the reason people say to do that is that during install certain themes check to see if the Summerboard package is installed and will not install without it. The majority work fine and you can always upload themes manually.

15. Tom Servo macrumors newbie

Here's where I"m stumped:

What is "...Using WinSCP" also don't know what "SSH" means. Do I have to install an extra program in order to get into the iPod Touch folders? And is that program WinSCP?

16. Dublo7 macrumors regular

Summerboard 1.1.1 IS now on installer app.

Also, this shouldn't be in this forum.

17. alekxxs macrumors newbie

hi, do you know if summerboard 1.1.1 is compatible with iphone, cause i've several issues trying to install it following de previous tutorial.... the iphone, is trying to reboot but allways keeps freeze, and when i try to uninstall manually (WINSCP), just don't run. i appreciate any idea. thanks