Why isn't the Apple TV (2015) out yet?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by urkel, Sep 23, 2015.

1. urkel macrumors 68030

Is anyone else wondering why the AppleTV (2015) isn't out yet?

The going theory about the new AppleTV is that it was developed well over a year ago and has just been sitting around due to delays in their TV plans. And when you look at the specs then that theory makes sense:

- No 4k (This was developed when 4k was a non-feature and 6S 4k didnt exist)
    - A8 Chip (not A8x or A9)
    - Bluetooth 4.0 (rather than 4.2)
    - Odd 3D tilt features (Similar to the old iPhone feature that everyone turned off)
    - Devs expected TVOS kits way back in WWDC and were surprised they didn't get anything

So if its true that this is a machine that was created possibly a year+ ago (and even sitting in a warehouse for most of that time) then why wasn't this a "Available next Friday" product? I'm assuming Apple wanted to launch with a populated App Store but how good can the first wave of Apps be with only a month of dev time for them?

2. Pakaku macrumors 68000

Pakaku

A month's worth of apps is still a month's worth of apps, quality or not. Apple would still want something in their store, if they're going to push a store in the first place...

3. foobarbazqux macrumors regular

This is what I think as well which would explain why the new AppleTV sort of already feels like a year old product. The hardware was probably finished a long time ago but the TV service was probably always "just 2 weeks away" so they kept delaying the release of the AppleTV until the service was ready. Next thing they know, it's months if not a year later and they still hadn't released anything so they figure they have to just release the AppleTV without the TV service.

I bet their original plan was to release this AppleTV and TV service late last year or early this year, if not earlier than that.

As to why they didn't just say "Available next Friday?", I'd say it's because they made the decision to release the AppleTV only very recently and they needed to give developers time to create their apps.

4. Dobbs2 macrumors 6502

It has the same HDMI port as the Amazon Fire TV which is HDMI 1.4.
    HDMI 1.4 does 4k at 30hz/30fps. The Amazon Fire TV just like the Apple Tv lacks HDMI 2.0 for 4k at 60hz/fps. Apple doesn't have any 4K content in iTunes, and Amazon has a few shows and movies in 4K. Amazon does not have any true 4K content.