Why isnt the first mouse click when going between browser windows and applications detected?

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by CNX Grinder, Mar 22, 2016.

1. CNX Grinder, Mar 22, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2016

CNX Grinder macrumors newbie

CNX Grinder

I have typically two browsers windows open and an app but when I click between the windows, the first mouse click is not detected making me have to click twice. This is very annoying and I cant figure out how to change that.

Can anyone help?

Edit: Im using a macbook pro with a monitor connected to it.

2. MacGizmo macrumors 6502a

MacGizmo

There is no setting to change, that's just not normal behavior.

3. cynics macrumors G3

The first click makes a background app a foreground app.

This was designed that way to prevent accidental clicks when switching windows. Scroll your mouse over a link, the arrow will change to a finger pointer. Now if you do that for another windows, any app. That will not change because its not in the foreground.

This doesn't mean background apps are completely inaccessible. The messages app for example, you switch between contacts first click. However you cannot click a link from a contact first click.

Basically anytime the mouse would normally change to a finger pointer, that is not active on the first click on a background app.

Admittedly this has its problems especially if you are using two browsers split screen. However imo its designed well because you could do some serious harm by accidentally clicking on something you don't want merely trying to switch between browser windows.

4. leman macrumors 604

Not forwarding the first click is the standard OS behavior, and individual apps can opt to change it. If you think that this is a feature the app should support, i'd contact the developer and tell them about it.

5. Gregg2 macrumors 603

I often find it very annoying that Windows does execute something on a first click.

6. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

It's not registered because its easier to just click anywhere in a window to focus it without worrying what you actually clicked on.

On some platforms you can set up "sloppy focus" (e.g. some unix window managers) which means that the active window is whichever one the mouse cursor is hovering over but that can be confusing and annoying as well.