Why isn't the iPhone battery disposable/removable?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by -aggie-, Jun 27, 2009.

1. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I'm just wondering why Apple chose to not make the iPhone battery disposable. To make us by a new iPhone every two years? Some other reason? Reading all the concerns about batteries on here, it sure would've been nice if we could replace the battery if we needed to. Also, one could have extra batteries that they could change out with the low battery.

Thanks.

2. Drewsky87 macrumors 6502

Drewsky87

3. -aggie- thread starter macrumors P6

-aggie-

Okay, removable. Replaceable. whatever :)

4. ChromeCloud macrumors member

A few reasons:

1) It makes it possible to build a sleeker, thinner, more robust external shell.
    2) People usually replace the device before the battery starts failing or capacity drops below 80% of a brand new battery.
    3) There are power outlets just about everywhere you go.
    4) If you need more battery life, you can extend it with external battery packs that are just as convenient as carrying a spare battery.

5. -aggie- thread starter macrumors P6

-aggie-

That's all fine if the batteries for the iPhone are reliable. I assume they are?

6. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

I believe you can get the battery replaced. I know websites sell them, and replacing it yourself on an out-of-warranty phone isn't THAT complicated. But the extended batteries that plug into the bottom are like $20 and work well.

7. ChromeCloud macrumors member

Well, there sure is a percentage of faulty batteries, but a faulty battery is likely to fail in the first months of usage anyways, and if that happens, it's covered by the standard warranty.

8. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Just to make an additional comment. Battery is not covered in the warranty, unless it's manufacturer defect.

9. ChromeCloud macrumors member

Really? I find it hard to believe that if you go to an apple store after like 2 months of ownership and complain about the capacity being lower than 50% they won't replace your battery for free.

10. -aggie- thread starter macrumors P6

-aggie-

I'm not having any problems with my battery, so I'm just asking for the future. On the extended batteries, I've seen them at Best Buy, but they cost like $40. They wouldn't work for the iPhone if they iphone battery was bad, would they? I already knew about the non-warranty way of replacing the battery, but that requires soldering, if I remember correctly.

11. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Perhaps the terms have changed, or my memory have faded.

http://www.apple.com/batteries/replacements.html

12. darngooddesign macrumors G3

That would be considered a "manufacturer's defect", just like he said.

13. ChromeCloud macrumors member

I'd say that replacing the battery on your own is something you should attempt only if you have past experience with disassembling electronic stuff.

14. ChromeCloud macrumors member

Sorry I didn't catch the meaning of manufacturer defect. I was thinking about Apple actually checking with the battery supplier to confirm the battery was from a bad batch or something like that.

"Your one-year warranty includes replacement coverage for a defective battery. You can extend your coverage to two years from the date of your iPhone purchase with the AppleCare Protection Plan for iPhone. During the plan’s coverage period, Apple will replace the battery if it drops below 50% of its original capacity. If it is out of warranty, Apple offers a battery replacement for $79, plus $6.95 shipping, subject to local tax. Apple disposes of your battery in an environmentally friendly manner."

Anyways, it's not clear if they will replace it if it goes below 50% capacity within 1 year from the purchase with standard warranty only. But I suppose they will definitely replace it if you go and complain about it.

15. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Soldering? No, it is glued to the back of the iPhone case, they just pull off and you can put a new one in. Nothing complicated about that, but opening your iPhone can be dangerous. Once its open, removing a few screws gives you access.

And for $15 you can get this one: http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10831&cs_id=1083105&p_id=5480&seq=1&format=2

I have it, works great.

16. -aggie- thread starter macrumors P6

-aggie-

Thanks, I'll look into that!

17. milani macrumors 68000

milani

I haven't really heard of any problems.

18. -aggie- thread starter macrumors P6

-aggie-

Anyone know if an external battery will work if the iPhone battery totally stops holding a charge?

19. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Does it work when its plugged in? If so, yes, as the iPhone just sees the external battery as a wall power adapter (aka it thinks its plugged into the wall).

20. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

I am curious about the amount of 'energy' that a full 100% charged 3GS has requires how many AAA batteries (quality ones like Duracell or Energizer) to equal that amount. Anyone knows or can guess?

21. -aggie- thread starter macrumors P6

-aggie-

Some electronics work off the battery only, which is why I was asking. Thanks!

22. -aggie- thread starter macrumors P6

-aggie-

I think it's 4, since I've seen chargers for the iPhone with 4.

23. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

4 AAA batteries yielded a 100% charge from empty?

24. -aggie- thread starter macrumors P6

-aggie-

I just saw the charger, I'm not sure if it's equivalent to the iphone battery fully charged. I think I saw it on Amazon.