Why isnt the mac compatible with anything ? So annoying?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by semin28, Feb 1, 2010.

1. semin28 macrumors regular

I cant use most cameras , printers , etc . I thought it was compatible with hp printers but when i hook the printer up , nothing comes up . Same with cameras ( cannon , Nikon , kodak , etc ) . Why is this ? Is my mac messed up or is the mac really not compatible with these things ?
    Also It says my printer is offline . How do i get it online ? Thanks

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It's compatible with almost everything if you download the necessary drivers. Maybe you could be more specific about the model of your printer and camera.

3. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Are you using Snow Leopard or Leopard? If you are not connected to the internet and using Snow Leopard then it cannot download the drivers your devices require.

I have never had any problems with any devices I plug into my mac.

4. omeletpants macrumors regular

I never had a problem with any printer or camera.:eek:

5. semin28 thread starter macrumors regular

Hp deskjet f4280 all in one printer . On my mac it used to say hp 1400 .But it used to work but now it doesn't . It doesn't recognize it anymore . IT says printer offline . Just like with most cameras I use .

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I suspect the only thing your Mac isn't compatible with is any user who doesn't take the time to learn how to use it. As for the printer:
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...8-1&lc=en&cc=us&os=219&product=3390949&dlc=en

If you calm down and take each issue one at a time, you'll find there are simple solutions to just about everything.

7. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

There are no OSX drivers for my HP Color Laserjet 1600. I have to use it on my Widows PC. Very frustrating!

8. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

The printer/scanner works because I got one working a couple of weeks ago when I needed a scanner and found an old one of these lying around (this was on 10.5.8) however I couldnt figure out how to have it automatically name each new scanned file, eg most scanner software will do scan001, scan002 etc after you told it to use 'scan' as a prefix, but you had to type each file name in for every single scan. a real PITA. Maybe there is a solution for that but I didnt have time to work it out. Plus some unpleasant clunky HP software to drive it all. Very nasty, about 6 different apps some of which just seemed to start up another app !

For cameras, I never bother with the cable to camera method, I just use a cheap (it doesn't have to be cheap but mine is :) SD card reader and put the card in that, saves installing a different driver for each camera.

9. spinne1 macrumors 6502a

spinne1