Why isn't the new Bluetooth keyboard fullsize?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Jack Flash, Aug 11, 2007.

1. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

Apple planning on charging more for a complete keyboard in a couple months?

2. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

ol'Steve said it is that way to make it more comfortable for people to hold it in their laps..

3. esco macrumors 6502

esco

All of the desks at my college have enclosed keyboard drawers, the old wireless keyboards were ideal...

I love the look of the new keyboards, but I still want a full one. Guess I'll go wired:(

4. megfilmworks macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

The reason that it is small is because they designed it that way.;)

5. mahonmeister macrumors 6502

You could always buy a keyboard from another company. Personally, I like that it is smaller, but obviously others don't. I doubt they will release a full-size bluetooth keyboard anytime soon, but I could be wrong.

6. MikeyTree macrumors 6502

I'm fine with getting rid of the numerical keypad, but I do wish that it had the full sized arrow keys, delete, page up/down, etc. keys on the right. I don't use the numeric keypad very often, but I use those extra keys all the time.

7. valiar macrumors regular

I want to second that - and this is why I have just bought the wired version.

8. LeviG macrumors 65816

I actually like the missing num pad, however I'm not going to use it for long periods or number crunching.

It would be nice for apple to off an alternative bt keyboard with a num pad as not everyone has the same taste in keyboards.

9. klaxamazoo macrumors 6502

I can't picture Apple releasing a full size BT, but it is only a matter of time before another company creates an add-on that could clip into the current wireless model.

10. gjohung macrumors newbie

Num Key.

I see that you use ProTools.. and some keyboard short cuts require a numlock keys - My new MBP does not have it... old G4 PBs had F6 that converts some keys work like NUmlock Keys.

Other apps include Finale.. and I believe some Final Cut Pro commands too...

I need full sized BT keyboard. I am using all USB ports for MIDI Keyboards and iLok Keya. I can't use pluged in Keyboards

11. waw74 macrumors 68030

Click here

12. gjohung macrumors newbie

USB Hub not working with ProTools Hardware

I have USB hubs. Furthermore here are other issues
    1) ProTools hardware, such as MBox requires you to plug it directly into USB port NOT via hub.. It is powerd by USB.
    2) Some Portable USB Powered HDD (Seagate Passport) does not work on MBPs USB hub. The power that comes out of MBP is too weak
    3) I even bought a 'powered' USB hub.. hub that has wall wart power plug. This works ok for Seagate HDD but not PTLE.

I was hoping that the whole purpose of having a laptop computer is being mobile as possible. With less peripherals to haul..

13. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Well - it is more or less full size, it just hasn't got the number keys. But as others have said, it was probably a hedge for living-room / entertainment use and also since many Mac users probably would find the number pad redundant.

It might have been a little more useful though if one like this had been released.
    http://www.maxpoint.de/de/products/keyboards.php?pid=1_3_7&we_objectID=592

14. JW008 macrumors 6502

My problem is that my white wireless Apple keyboard is on the outs and I'm hoping to get it replaced through my AppleCare warranty. I really need the numerical pad (I'm a social scientist and do statistical work), so I definitely do not want the new wireless. Do you think they either have some old white ones lying around or would I be forced to take the current wireless one? As much I as love my current wireless keyboard, I'd take the wired one with the numerical pad before I'd take the wireless one without.

15. LeoFio macrumors regular

There is no option for a full size keyboard because there is always a catch on new apple hardware lately.

16. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

You could try and hunt for the previous one, but to me that's a little like hacking off your own testicles for birth control.

I'm pretty certain that apart from the looks, the reason why so many Applemaniacs are amazed at the new keyboard is because the previous Apple keyboards they were using were completely crap but they just didn't realise it, because like most Apple users they've got used to not looking that hard outside of the Apple ecosphere for anything better. It (both the previous wired and wireless versions) is among the worst full-travel membrane keyboards I've ever used. It makes the 'can things get any cheaper than this' standard Dell keyboard feel like a dream.

17. gotzero macrumors 68040

I really wish Apple would make something like that with a multitouch pad integrated. After using the keyboard on the MBA, I kept with the stock MP keyobard, and I have come to like them. Being able to kick back with a projector and a single wireless interface device that was not garbage would be great. Right now I use the iphone as a touchpad...