Why isn't the Verizon LTE iPad sold outside the USA?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by aneftp, Mar 14, 2012.

1. aneftp macrumors 68040

Not sure its been posted. I think I know why.

Cause i belive the AT&T LTE iPad will be truly unlocked for HSPA/GSM use in all countries thus why it's the only model sold in all countries.

Whereas I believe the Verizon iPad LTE model will be "locked" to the Verizon CDMA/LTE network inside the USA. Just like the Verizon/Sprint iPhone 4S are "locked" to their respective CDMA carriers inside the USA.

It should make more sense for Apple to at least offer the Verizon LTE iPad to Canadian customers since most of big Canadian cities are near USA borders and people frequent the USA a lot.

2. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

Yes, while we won't know for sure until Friday if the VZW one is locked to only VZW in the USA I agree with you. I have heard this from a VZW Mobile engineer who lives by me. He said they never advertised them as UNLOCKED only as "World Devices" so while the GSM is truly unlocked the VZW won't be but will still be a "World Device." Just like the VZW iPhone 4s.

Just to clarify, he said he's "pretty sure" from what he has heard but also says "Friday will tell."

3. profets macrumors 68040

This part I disagree with. We have 3 several carriers using LTE on the same bands as AT&T so naturally that would be the proper model to sell in Canada.

Besides Canada, the rest of the world isn't using LTE on the bands included on either device so it really didn't matter I guess which device they chose to push globally.

Maybe there is some funny domestic lock occurring on the Verizon model.. really curious to see on Friday.

Edit- Also the reason they use the AT&T version could be for cost savings - the Verizon model also has cdma antennas/whatever included as well.

4. aneftp thread starter macrumors 68040

Yeah I ordered an Verizon LTE iPad an a wifi only iPad.

I have both Verizon and AT&T phone service. Will pop in my microsim from my Verizon LTE Galaxy Nexus to see if Verizon LtE works.

And i also will pop in my AT&T iPhone microsim to see if att works on the iPad.

I have both AT&T and Verizon LTE service in Orlando Florida.

5. SporkLover macrumors 6502

Or, the VZW LTE band is so dissimilar from the rest of the world. IIRC, they use 700mhz, where the two AT&T LTE frequencies is supported by more than one carrier.