Why isn't there a student discount on refurbs?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MikeyTree, Apr 13, 2007.

1. MikeyTree macrumors 6502

I'm annoyed. i was looking through the refurbs, thinking about getting a 2.33 15" MBP. But it turns out that there's no student discount on them, so they're not not much less than a brand new model with my student discount.

2. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Your problem is?

3. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

It's because they are already discounted.

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i don't see a problem with this. i mean they're already discounted machines. and you want a student discount on that? :rolleyes: some people are never happy.

5. MikeyTree thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm cheap. :D

I know it makes economic sense to not discount them further, since they're in limited supply so Apple is guaranteed to sell them without the extra discount. Still, it would have been nice.

6. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

The student discount they offer is already nice enough.

7. galstaph macrumors 6502a

galstaph

If you wanted to be cheaper, you'd have to become a student developer (like $99). This would give you a one time discount on an apple product for something like 30-40%.

That is about all you could hope for....
    (Short of going to China and stealing a crate of mbps before they ship out...):rolleyes:

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

The problem of most youth today, a sense of entitlement. :confused:

9. Keebler macrumors 68030

rdowns.....of course this doesn't apply to all youth, but YOU ARE SO RIGHT!

Kids think they are owed EVERYTHING! it's unbelievable. I'm going to do my hardest to ensure my kids do not expect everything. don't even get me going on the lack of kids having JOBs. it astounds me that people think their kids don't need to work so they can 'focus on high school and get good grades'. Sure...they may get good grades, but they're probably going to have crappy work ethics. ugh. and then i laugh when people say their kids are lazy.... DUH! (sorry...that was another rant :)

somewhere along the line, people have to tell these kids that you have EARN things in life...nothing is OWED and nothing is FREE. Now, i'm not saying the OP is saying that, but i'm just on a rant b/c rdowns is right.

for the love of God OP, a discount on already discounted product? I'm about to buy a mac pro and for the fun of it, i punched in my old university ID. If i had lower morals, I would try to go through with it, but i'm not going to.

Sure would be nice to save the frickin' $300 though.

so, either you like the price or you don't, but there is an expression out there:

"don't look the gift horse in the mouth"

and one other HUGE thing:

Enjoy ALL the student discounts while you can b/c when you're done, the discounts are O V E R. adult life doesn't involve so many discounts. :)

Cheers,
    Keebler

10. ziwi macrumors 65816

ziwi

Well, that would bring us back to the refurb store...:p

11. Frankf300 macrumors regular

Frankf300

That's why I'm applying for a job at the Apple store :D . I have my first interview on Monday, I'm so psyched lol. At least I can make money and be around the products I love all day :apple: lol. Only problem, is I hear Apple employees cannot post on any Apple or Apple related forums :cool: .

12. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

Wow. I feel sorry for your future children.

I don't think it's such a terrible concept for parents to encourage their kids to focus on school rather than a job. Working an extra job (I say extra because school IS work as well) at McDs is going to do a lot less for them in the future than getting good grades and being involved in extracurriculars to get them into a good college on a nice scholarship.

Not to mention, kids are KIDS, and they should enjoy that. They should have some free time to just relax and live life, cause god knows adults don't often get that time to breathe and relax. Yes, that life is inevitable for most, but why impose that world on them too soon?

I wasn't spoiled, but I wasn't forced to work, either. I think your way is a cop out. The harder route would be to teach your kids not to be naive about the adult world or their expectations, but to still let them enjoy their youth while they can. Don't spoil them to high hell, but don't make them earn the things that you as a parent should be responsible for providing (my fiance's parents kept a book for everything - clothes, school supplies, lunch money, any and all toys/gadgets, on and on - now they expect him to be making monthly payments to them).

And more relevant to the OPs question: why shouldn't students get breaks on things? We pay out the ass for tuition (I pay $20k a year), get paid crap because we don't yet have a degree or experience, and are mostly taken advantage of work-wise because employers know we're at the bottom of the chain, just trying to work our way up. I'm not saying there's anything necessarily wrong or absurd here, but if our society wants to cripple students financially, then heck yeah - bring on the discounts.. they certainly don't compensate or balance it completely, but a little kick back is nice every once in a while.

You "working adults" who have it so tough can gripe all you want. Here, I have an idea - we'll send you our tuition bills and you can have the $200 discounts on Apple computers. Sound good?

/rant.

13. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

You know, there are adult students out there too, you know.

14. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

lol, good response. I am completely put in my place. :rolleyes: :p

15. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

As an ex-Apple retail employee, I can tell you that most new products and revisions aren't available at a discount to Apple employees right away. Most of the time you have to wait 1-2 months after the release before you can get your discount so they don't short the general public on supply.

16. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

Amen xfiftyfour, I feel you. Couldn't have said it better myself, having to pay over $150,000 for my education so far (undergrad: 4 years x $37,000/year + law school: 1 year so far, 2 left x $29,000/year).

If anyone wants to take my debt, I'll gladly hand over my $200 Apple Student discount. In fact, I'll even throw in a few grand to make it worth your while ;)

Sad thing is, all you *adults* whining about kids "not working hard" have never had to pay the kind of money that students do now for your education; the tuition prices way back when weren't ANYTHING compared to what they are now.

Neither was the competition for the grades/schools, with so many more students and a higher percentage of them going to college now than ever before. You guys had it easy, and you don't even realize it.

17. Frankf300 macrumors regular

Frankf300

Well, that makes sense to me, though I'm not really in it for the discount. Well you can help me out than, considering you were an Apple employee. I filled out the application online and the store manager contacted me to schedule my first interview. So, what does that mean, do I have a decent shot of getting in? I actually never expected them to even respond back, I figured they must get flooded with hundreds of apps a day. How are they to work for? Of course if your not allowed to disclose this info, sorry for even asking :) .

18. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Companies and people don't like to waste their time. If you were invited for an interview then they genuinely think that you could take the position (based on your CV) and would like to know more to see if you show potential, not lying on the Cv and fit with the company.

19. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Tuition was expensive then too. I feel so bad for you. You definitely don't have enough in life. Just look at your sig.

20. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

Tuitition wasn't ANYTHING compared to what it is now. You can't even compare tuition 20 years ago to tuition nowadays.

Also, I work my tail off, many, many hours a week, in addition to law school; hence my sig. Because I bought myself a few nice toys does not mean that I feel I am entitled or that I don't work hard, because I do.

Because I paid a few grand on a laptop, a tv, and a camera doesn't negate the fact that I am over $75,000 in debt, study like a banshee 7-8 hours a day for law school, and work my tail off at work every single day trying to pay it off. You're calling out the wrong cat here my friend.

21. shecky Guest

shecky

FTW.

22. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

iWish I could use teenager gaming lingo and be l33t like you :D

23. shecky Guest

shecky

and i wish i could be as ill-informed as you :)

my first round of college was in the late 80's, about 20 years ago. i can assure you from personal experience that the bite of tuition on my families income was just as bad then as it was when i went back to school early in this decade. you do realize that that incomes are inflated along with tuition costs, right? i agree proportionally tuition has gone up more than income inflation, but to act like tuition 20 years ago was no big deal is just idiotic.

24. failsafe1 macrumors 6502a

failsafe1

Funny argument. No one forces you to choose something that is expensive. Don't complain about getting what you paid for. Once you have an education it is yours. As far as tuition costing more now. Doubt it. Don't know the way back when you are speaking of but things are always costly. If you ask people who were shopping for an education way back when they would tell you things were costly and money was hard to come by. Borrowing money to go to school does not mean you are working hard for your money. It could mean that you simply got a large loan. If you work and go to school on what you earn that is a different situation. I can borrow a lot of money and take a lifetime paying it back.

25. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

http://www.finaid.org/savings/tuition-inflation.phtml

Veritas is correct that tuiton is nothing compared to today (20 years back). Tuiton has been increasing at a rate of 2x the general inflation rate.

However, 20 years from now (as long as interest rates don't skyrocket) my tuiton costs will be easier to pay as I will be making more due to inflation. My overall balance does not increase with inflation. So $75,000 today will still be $75,000 in 20 years, but I will be making more money due to inflation.