Why isn't this selling?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by davidg4781, Oct 21, 2013.

1. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

Would y'all have any idea why this one isn't selling? I've been keeping an eye on Power Mac G4s on here and they seem to either move quick or end up getting thrown away. This one's been here a while.

http://austin.craigslist.org/sys/4074226808.html

I don't see why the fan would be such a turn off if nothing's damaged. Get a new fan and move on? Or am I missing something?

2. Mnowell69 macrumors regular

Mnowell69

I imagine the fan would be found on ebay or whatever for more than the cost of the G4. The vendor says it works without it, so i would be inclined to just ask him what you would like to know. You might even be able to fix the fan yourself.

3. tampasteve macrumors 6502

I am not sure if they are interchangeable, but I think I have a Powermac G3 (B&W) fan that you can have for shipping if you want to give it a try.

Steve

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

The seller is saying that the fan rubs up against the case, which is why he disconnected it. That suggests to me that even if you replace it with a new fan you are going to have the new fan rubbing against the case.

The seller did not say the fan was defective, just that he disconnected it because of the noise it was making when rubbing the case.

That suggests maybe some sort of internal damage somewhere to me. Possibly it's not selling because people are worried about overheat. When Macs like these are selling for those prices and can be found almost anywhere, why also buy the seller's problem?

I have no doubt it works fine without the fan though. I have a G4 350/PCI at work that has some awful bearing sounds when the fan is running. Fortunately it can be stopped pretty easily. The Mac still functions just fine.

If you go for this Mac, I'd ask to take a look inside and have the seller explain just where the fan is rubbing against the case. Then go from there.

5. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

If fan behaves as described, it most likely has cracked/broken blade. I've had few such cases. Replacement one isn't expensive.

6. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

Ahhh, so these aren't the $5 PC Case fans?

7. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

It's only $35 dollars! Get over there asap! Just the fun of having to fix it up is worth the price!

8. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

This is an original one. 2 wire, thermally controlled, 120x25 mm, 86,5 CFM. You can use any matching this specs, some would need replacing power connector or adding speed controller (these without thermistor - little blue thing visible on a picture of original fan).

9. yangchewren macrumors regular

10. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

Even fully working Quicksilvers over here would struggle to fetch much more than that even on eBay - they just don't tend to attract much attention.

Only yesterday I saw a fully boxed mint condition 733MHz QS sell for less than what the OP's is up there. It seems the only really desirable G4 towers around are DP MDD's. Even the G5's are struggling to sell for more than pocket change now.

11. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

Interesting. I've been keeping an eye on Central/South Texas for the past couple of years. It looks like a complete Quicksilver set will be about $200.

12. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

That's a damn shame. I've lusted after a QS from the first time I saw them. I really hate the look of the MDDs. The QS versions have it all over in the looks department for me. Unfortunately, the MDDs are more powerful.

13. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

[​IMG]

Problem solved (the fan itself is either 60x60x25mm or 60x60x20mm and more like $5).

14. Mnowell69 macrumors regular

Mnowell69

Lol, i was joking about the price having seen how certain ebay traders try to make a fast buck on their used spares. For example i needed a new ribbon cable for the mousepad on my clamshell ibook. An ebay vendor wanted £50... How much can you buy a working clamshell for? Exactly... :)

15. KeegM480 macrumors 6502a

KeegM480

Maybe no one in your area wants one, I know for that price I would buy that today!