Why ist there still no Airplay from Mac to iDevice?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by X-X, Sep 26, 2014.

1. X-X macrumors 6502

I'm using an app called "AirView" for years now, it turns you iPhone into and Airplay receiver. So you can watch movies from your Mac iTunes Movie Library.

Many years ago it appeared in the App Store and only a couple of weeks later was killed by Apple.

It still works except it's not updated for the current iOS of course.

Why does Apple still actively block people from doing that?

It would be so awesome to stream from your big movie library to your iPad for example.

How does Apple benefit from this policy?

2. rtomyj macrumors 6502a

rtomyj

Because you can already do that... Turn on home sharing on your iTunes on computer and connect to the same wifi.

3. X-X thread starter macrumors 6502

Not the same thing.

If you stream using Home Sharing the device is receiving and internally decoding but with AirPlay the file is decoded by iTunes on the Mac.

Better performance, less battery drain and so on.

With big full hd movies, home sharing doesn't work well and Airplay is way easier to use.

4. rtomyj macrumors 6502a

rtomyj

Subjective. Would it be easier to start the movie on device a-la home sharing, or on computer a-la AirPlay. Anyways, just plug in phone and you are good.

5. Nozuka macrumors 68000

or just use any other software that transcodes the video on the fly for your iphone.

plex comes to mind.
    https://plex.tv/

or if you dont mind buying hardware, synology diskstation.

6. GWX macrumors newbie

I wish I could use my iPhone as a speaker to my Apple TV or my Mac to watch videos at night. Bed + headphones + big screen = heaven. A shame Apple prevents that (I remember Airfoil could do this once with standard AirPlay connectivity).