iPad Why jailbreak the iPad??

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by clarkkent18, Mar 14, 2011.

1. clarkkent18 macrumors member

I see no reason to jail break the iPad; you cannot get free 3G accesses on it. Yes I am very new to the iPad, but why should I JB it? I want to JB my iPhone 4 to use the tether it to my mac book and my iPad, but the question still remains, why JB the iPad (first gen)

2. drenline macrumors 6502a

drenline

If you see no reason to jb it. then don't. Simple as that.

3. DaBlackMamba macrumors member

I did not JB my first gen ipad and I am not planning on JB the Ipad 2 as I don't want it to be any slower. I like the speed and as I know from my itouch, the thing lags when I JB it.

Really, its the free apps that are the difference between yes and no even if people don't admit it.

4. clarkkent18 thread starter macrumors member

But I just got it two days ago, I was just making sure that I was not over looking something. Is there a free app if I JB it that will give me fee 3G so is that only with the iPhone??

5. svenn macrumors 6502

6. thunderclap macrumors 6502a

thunderclap

The big one is WiFi tethering so you don't need to plug in your iPad to sync with iTunes.

7. thundermustard macrumors regular

There is one good reason to jailbreak. RetinaPad. Takes your iPhone apps from jagged to beautiful.

8. George Knighton macrumors 6502a

George Knighton

It seems to me (and I admit that I do not know much) that the single biggest reason to jailbreak the iPad would be to be able to tether a 3G iPad with MyWi.

iOS 4.3 doesn't give you the hotspot option for the iPad that it gives the iPhone.

9. Bearxor macrumors 6502a

There's a few reasons I did mine.

RetinaPad - Why Apple doesn't force iPhone apps that have 960x640 res to display them on the iPad is beyond me. I guess it creates an artificial market segmentation.

XBMC - Lay in bed at night and watch my 1080p rips without stuttering and having to dee code them as separate files from my HTPC. Definitely needs an iOS interface, though.

SwitcherMod - the Applemulti-task switcher is STUPID! Just plain dumb. This fixes it. Automatically removes non-running programs and gives you a close button above everything without having to hold it down.

That's it for me. Two of them are things Apple could do. Until apps show up that can stream 1080p off a network, I'll probably keep jailbreaking.

But, if you don't see a reason to do it, then don't.

10. gravytrain84 macrumors 6502a

gravytrain84

Does fakeclockup work for iPad?

What about pull refresh safari, nospot, lockscreen clock hide, annnnd infinifolders? Tia! I'm new to the iPad world and can't wait to jb.

11. robots3humans0 macrumors 6502

Fakeclockup definitely works. I hate how slow apple made the UI transitions, i wouldn't be abe to go back to stock haha.

12. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Freedom.

It removes Apple's big padlock on the device you own and lets you do what you want with it.

That alone is worth it.

13. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

The Real question is, Why not?

and not, the only reason to JB is no tethered internet, (which is yes, a nice addition), but not the only reason.

Lockinfo, SBSettings, Memory Management, Real Backgroud applications, Application Switcher like Expose, File Manager, Real Access to File system, Play other music formats, Play all my Videos, Themes, so many more.

14. RadicalxEdward macrumors 6502

RadicalxEdward

This is the reason I won't be jailbreaking mine. It always gets slower when I jailbreak my iOS devices and then it's annoying anytime there's an update trying to make sure I don't lose my jailbreak. On top of that there have been a couple times I've gotten free apps and now they're all mixed in with my paid apps in my itunes library so now I gotta figure out which ones are which and delete them (since they obviously won't sync with a non-jb iOS)

plus any time something goes wrong, you can't just restore the device to fix it, you have to make sure you do it in a way that preserves your ability to JB it.

HOWEVER, there are some cool apps for jailbroken devices. Like if you like using the ipad in the car or don't like hitting little buttons, there's a music player that uses gestures to change tracks, pause, etc.

there are apps that show your notifications on your lock screen. there's an app to show iphone apps at their full res instead of knocking them down and then doubling them again.

There are cool good apps, and there are things apple just won't allow but are cool features. but for me, it's just not worth it. but it's different for everyone.

15. nostaws macrumors 6502

nostaws

This is the number one reason why hate to jailbreak. I am an iphone user on t-mobile, and I was at 3.1.2 until this week. I don't want to have to re-jailbreak every there is a new update.

I am considering JB on my iPad to use USB drives through the camera connection kit. I bought the 64gb to get max storage, but if I start running out of space I may JB.

16. Cloysterpeteuk macrumors member

Mine isn't any slower now its been jail broken.

I mainly did it so I could have my home screens how I want them not Apple, so I can have however many apps in the dock, I can scroll the dock, I can resize icons, have a grid of 6 by 6 icons on screen etc. At present I have no icons on my first home screen, you scroll up the screen to bring the apps up from off screen. Of course I have other useful jb programs like sb settings and my fav which removes the lock screen.

Apple won't let me do customise anything but the wallpaper which Im nit willing to put up with, if you couldn't jb then I would go with Android.

17. ferrous macrumors regular

But if I tether iPhone 4 to create a hotspot, can't I use the WiFi on the iPad to connect to the internet? Is JP on the iPad going to connect me to the internet without the WiFi?

18. Qianlong macrumors regular

JB iPad 1 or 2 + camera connection kit + SD Card + iFile => unlimited storage

19. 3goldens macrumors 68000

3goldens

why, because it offers a variety of different program opportunities that Apple does not allow. You could tether if you wanted, you could wirelessly sync, if you wanted, use some of the great shortcuts, SBS, primarily that I sorely miss.

But no one here is going to beg you to JB yours, but I assure you Mr. Kent there is reason to do it, one just needs to be open to exploring the possibilities.

20. xraytech macrumors 68020

I'm a Hobbyist Photographer and I Jailbreak so I can do this in the field.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H84EpXXcG_o

I Jailbreak and I don't partake in free cracked apps. So don't draw broad generalizations.

21. james92se macrumors 6502a

I'll tell you exactly why you should jailbreak an iPad. So that you can use MyWi to tether your iPhone 3G connection to the iPad. Not sure why you're saying you can't get free 3G on it and then a sentence later say you're going to JB to tether to your MacBook :confused:

It doesn't occur to you that you can do the same thing to the iPad? For example - I'm typing this on my iPad as we speak, listening to TuneIn Radio simultaneously, all tethering through my iPhone via MyWi OnDemand :)

It is fantastic.

22. kalex macrumors 65816

No it doesn't. If you go crazy and load everything in cydia yes it will get slow but if you just jailbreak it its identical to non jailbroken ios device.

So according to you everyone who jailbreaks is secretly loading free apps?

Jailbreak gives you options that Apple decided you are not worthy of using. File system access, better mutlitasking handling, plus many other settings

23. JPIndustrie macrumors 6502a

JPIndustrie

Ha, they know were not that dumb. They don't allow customizations because it would be hell to support. Customizations in the very broad sense (not just appearance). See Windows and Android support for examples.

24. Dav1 macrumors 6502

Ultimately if you must ask why, then you don't need it, in my opinion. :) when you need it there is no need to ask why... Not everyone needs a van, or a 4by4, those that actually need them know why, and don't really need someone else to tell them why in my experience.

25. HarryPot macrumors 6502a

This is one of the main reasons I'm buying an iPad.

How well does XBMC work in the iPad? Do you suffer from the "buffering" problems that the ATV has?

Thanks.:)