Why jailbreak when there is Airplay mirroring?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by patent10021, Feb 9, 2014.

1. patent10021 macrumors 68020

patent10021

I just found out you can watch an MKV file on your Mac as usual and instead of jailbreaking to play the MKV on your AppleTV you can just mirror or extend your Mac's display to the TV using AppleTV via Airplay (2011 computer or newer).

Am I missing something here? It seems super easy and defeats the point of jailbreaking. Isn't this a good home theatre solution?

2. linds15 macrumors 6502a

its not native. its easier to just control everything on the apple tv. also, if theres more than 1 tv, or family members not as inclined to airplay/use an extra device, its optimal to have a native solution

3. patent10021 thread starter macrumors 68020

patent10021

Huh? I like jail breaking my iphone but I no longer see a need to JB my ATV with this feature. If my Mac Mini or whatever has a good CPU and the MKV is 720p/1080p it will look great on my 42"/50" TV. No need for Plex or anything.

4. Ludatyk macrumors 65816

Ludatyk

AirPlay with Plex is the sole reason I bought Apple TV, I'm a PlexPass member... And I tried Airplay with my Mac, and it was choppy for some reason.

So, for now... I just continue to use the Plex app.

5. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Playing MKV's isn't the only point to JB'ing. It might be your only point but it's not the only point.

6. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

7. priitv8 macrumors 68020

Without surround sound?
    Or how did you get that using AP Mirroring?
    PS Moreover - if your MKV has a DTS surround track, you're doomed altogether.

8. 2010mini, Feb 10, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2014

2010mini macrumors 68040

Synology now has a transcoding NAS so you can store all your MKVs on it and airplay via an app on an iOS device.

Better solution

9. dgalvan123 macrumors 6502a

Airplay is a good backup solution. But it's a hassle to use compared to being able to control everything from the TV.

In theory, yes it obviates the need for jail breaking. In practice, you (or, more likely, the rest of your family) are not going to want to get up from the couch to go over to the computer and start up the movie then click on Airplay mirroring every time you want to watch something. And then have to go back to the computer to pause, rewind, remove a notification that pops up on the screen, disable audio from your e-mail dings, etc. Yes there are elaborate remote control solutions using your smartphone, but #1: that is more of a hassle than using a push-button remote and #2: think about that: you are tasking your smartphone to task your computer to transmit an image over your wireless router to your Apple TV. Wouldn't it be easier to just control everything from a universal (non-touchscreen) remote from the couch?

I'm telling you. I have a jailbroken ATV and airplay mirroring. I almost never use mirroring because it's a hassle. Even on my ATV3 (obviously non-jailbroken), I rarely use Airplay mirroring. And if it's too much of a hassle for me, it definitely is for my wife.

10. patent10021 thread starter macrumors 68020

patent10021

I already have my Apple wireless keyboard beside my bed specifically for watching movies on Mac Mini with 27" Apple Thunderbolt Display. It's really a non-issue to select a file and play WHILE in bed or at the sofa.

I think streaming MKVs isn't faster. I'm either selecting movie with the keyboard or ATV remote.

11. GavApple macrumors newbie

Thank you for this information!! I have been using a HDMI plugged in because of Mirroring being a little glitchy, but I have tried Beamer and it works perfectly!! And reasonably priced too :) :apple: