Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Why Jailbreak your A5 device?

dweezle3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2010
Earth
So, now that the Absinthe jailbreak is out, I'm curious - what are you jailbreaking for? I had an iPhone 3G for the longest time, but noticed now with my 4S that most of the things I'd jailbreak the 3G for (better notifications, multitasking etc) have been addressed in iOS 5. So what is there left that y'all are jailbreaking for?

dirkyd3rk

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2012
Houston
Idk that last iPhone I had as well was a 3G, followed by a crap ton of android. I think I need to get back in the jailbreaking game on my 4s. I'm only rooting for access to cydia and the apps that apple blocks. Maybe a little theming to go along with that jailbreak. The first thing I'm going to do is search for a freaking keyboard that has arrows or maybe some type of cursor that pops up when trying to select In between words etc. It's driving me nuts!

Do it dude, jailbreak now

Comment

Sdahe

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2007
San Juan, PR
I have the same opinion... I dont feel the need to jailbreak and even less with all the problems you get with the new jailbreak

Comment

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Jul 19, 2010
Ohio
Activator
SBSettings
Springflash
MyWi
KillBackground
CallerIDFaker
BlurredNCBackground

There's a few more but they'll go without saying.

Last edited:
Comment

acidrain79

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2011
I don't have a 4S but I have a 4 running iOS 5 and my best friend has a 4S. After I was able to jailbreak my 4 him and I both decided that the only real reason left to jailbreak iOS 5 for is SBSettings, specifically for the notification center widget. Aside from that iOS 5 pretty much covered any complaints I have ever had with iOS in the past. Now the only other thing I can think of that I would wanna change is having the option of seperate volume controls for ringer, text tone, keyboard clicks, etc. I'm sure there's something in Cydia that u can install that allows that tho, I just don't know about it yet if so.

Comment

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I retain my non-jailbreaking policy....I'm sure that benefits exist, but I prefer my stuff to remain as Apple intended. Just looking around the forums this weekend seems to confirm my safety first policy :) There seem to be an inordinate amount of "help I JB'd my phone " type postings.

Comment

spencers

macrumors 68020
Sep 20, 2004
Haven't felt the need to jailbreak since iOS 5 was released.

In my jailbreaking past, I always noticed the phone slowed down. May have been placebo, but I'd rather my tech stuff just work nowadays.

Comment

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado
iBlacklist and 3G Unrestrictor. iBlacklist blocks all calls not in my contacts.

3G Unrestrictor allows you to download any song or video or app bigger than 20GB while on 3G.

Comment

robdam1001

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2008
IntelliscreenX
BiteSMS
Folder Closer
Folder Enhancer
CallBar
ActionMenu (Must Have)
Five Icon Dock
NoNewsIsGoodNews
PhotoMail
Springflash

Comment

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
I did it so I could get rid of the AT&T logo and put the camera button in the lock screen permanently, and I use 3G Unrestrictor to make wifi-only stuff like FaceTime and Photostream work over 3G.

Comment

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
I did it so I could use various tweaks to fix all the things in iOS that bug me (like Safari's bookmark popup at launch or Siri's lack of voice activation).

I could go without jail breaking and still be very happy but why put up with things that annoy me when I can change them?

Comment

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
As long as Apple has a closesd IOS but wants to control and dictate what apps and tweaks I can run on my device. I will always feel the need to jailbreak. 100 plus fart apps but Apple won't let me have SBsettings, Lockinfo, BiteSMS, IntelliscreenX Etc. Thank you Apple! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.