Why Jailbreak?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by CC424, Oct 10, 2010.

1. CC424 macrumors regular

Wife just recently bought me a 16gb wifi iPad. I have an iPhone 4 jailbroken using mywi... So I was just curious to know why would or have you jailbroke your iPad?

2. nexsta macrumors 6502

simple, to get every app for free muahaha...

Of course just to test apps and buy them when I think they are worth the money.

3. markosb macrumors 6502

markosb

For myself

till iOS 4.2 multitasking with backgrounder

after iOS 4.2 and now SBSettings, Winterboard to change the look of the OS, Browser Changer so Atomic Browser is default, Full Force runs some iPhone apps full screen (doesn't work for all apps, ie games).

4. NJBlackBerry macrumors member

5. Zcott macrumors 68020

Garish themes, second-rate apps and useless settings.

6. koollectablz macrumors 6502

The one and only best reason, for me, to jailbreak is to add/remove content to vlc player and comiczeal without having to connect to a computer and sync stuff across.

Just use ifile and a pen drive and the camera connection kit.

Simples!

7. dave420 macrumors 65816

The main reason I want to jailbreak my iPad is so that I can install my own programs I develop. I don't want to pay the $99 to Apple for a developer account until I want to submit something to the app store.
    I have other reasons for wanting to jailbreak the iPhone.

8. johndoe588 macrumors regular

I've had my iPad for a little over two months and it was jailbroken within 10 minutes after leaving the box. The most important apps for me are:

Categories and CategoriesSB- I've got 9 folders set up. Without Categories I'd have a lot more pages of stuff. Works perfectly on the iPad. I have iOS4 on my 3GS but much prefer Categories there, too.

Backrounder and Circuitous - They work well for me, but I'm still looking forward to seeing how 4.2 works.

Lockinfo - Not quite a useful for me as it is on my phone but I still love having weather and calendar events on the lockscreen.

SBSettings - love having those settings handy.

iFile - A nice file manager, especially when used with jump drives and the camera connection kit.

Infinidock - More icons in the dock.

Iconoclasm - More icons on a page, any way you like 'em.

And more. I love my iPad but it wouldn't be quite as much fun without being jailbroken.

John B.

9. xokimwhiteox macrumors member

I'm not trying to thread jack but...

Can you get in trouble for jailbreaking?
    Does it risk viruses or what not getting on your device?

I'm a newb to jail breaking so i have no idea..:)

10. johndoe588 macrumors regular

No and no. The only trouble you may have is if you take your jailbroken device to the Genius bar, as Apple frowns on jailbreaking. Most folks recommend a restore before a visit.

John B.

11. xokimwhiteox macrumors member

Well I guess that's no issue here since we don't even have an apple store in Bakersfield.:rolleyes:

12. tamasvarga67 macrumors regular

My main reasons:
    Backgrounder, SBSettings, iFile, Virtual Memory hack, MyWi.
    I don't like Categories but using it to reduce the number of pages.

13. tamasvarga67 macrumors regular

IMHO iFile and MyWi 4 are first class apps and also, iRealSMS on the iphone. :cool:
    To be able to adjust the screen brightness and toggle wifi/3G/Bluetooth with SBSettings without leaving any app I wouldn't really call useless - that's how it should work out of the box - but maybe it's just me... :confused:

14. Ksane macrumors regular

I'd jailbreak for Activator only if we could only have ONE app. I lovelovelove having gestures set up for every single thing I want to do on my iPad. I don't have to touch a single hardware button.

15. StarLog macrumors newbie

StarLog

Kool, I am a bit new to iPAD, can you tell me how using iFile easy it is to move a file from a windows say .doc to the iPAD.? If this works as I expect you to say, then I am looking for the camera kit, and ready to move more files.

Thanks

16. tamasvarga67 macrumors regular

Copy the files to a FAT32 formated flash drive connect it to the iPad with the camera connection kit, dismiss the "The attached USB device is not supported" pop up message, open iFile which has a Finder like UI and copy the files to the desired application's documents folder. Open the app and the files will be there.
    The full version of iFile is $4 but for me it was a no brainer... I am mostly using it with VLC and GoodReader.

17. Ksane macrumors regular

That sounds like an awful long way around to move files. Maybe I'm misunderstanding something? I click on the little arrow at the bottom of the window in iFile to connect thru wifi to my computer. It gives you the ip address for you to put into your browser address bar and when you put that address in you connect to all the folders and files on your iPad. You can upload files from your computer to your iPad or you can download files from your iPad to your PC/Mac.You can make your own folders on your iPad with iFile, that's where I put my stuff so I know where to find it.
    But like I said-maybe I'm not understanding something, because it's pretty simple. My iPad is the 1st Apple ANYthing I've owned. So if I think it's simple it's got to be.:(

18. Mitchrapp macrumors 6502a

I've always been About backgrounder/multitask, SB settings, infinidock, categories/ CategoriesSB, iblank and themes with winter board. Maybe a couple others.

I've been using 4.2 beta so when 4.2 final is out, I won't be using categories anymore, I like 4.2 folders. Much easier to create. I won't be using circuitous or multi flow because 4.2 multitask is awesome. It's quick, quicker than I thought it would be.

I will jailbreak again but just for infinidock and iblanks and theme it up a little bit. Oh and iFile. I love that little app.

19. tamasvarga67 macrumors regular

Yes of course, you can do it through wireless but you don't really need iFile for that because many apps can connect on the same way or you can just use Dropbox.
    iFile provides you a USB port throught the camera connection kit which nothing else provides and also, you can move around files within the iPad.

20. Bockit macrumors newbie

I haven't jailbroken yet, but the only thing that would make me is a wireless sync. I've read that there is an app for this available through cydia, but I'm going to wait for 4.2 to come out of beta before I muck around with jailbreaking.

21. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

I could not deal with the asymmetrical icon layout. Icons are in a different place when in landscape than in portrait.

backgrounding was very useful, and will continue to be useful in some situations even after 4.2 is public.

Downloading files is nice.

Virtual memory is nice (and appears to be implemented in some way in 4.2)

Sbsettings should be in the damn thing from the factory

22. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Theft is still theft no matter how you dress it up.

23. koollectablz macrumors 6502

Yeah, I use ifile to access a usb storage device and just take whatever files I want and place them directly into the app's folder.

You don't have to use a computer at all, and its much quicker than syncing or using wifi.

Plus with ifile you can delete files at will to free up space without having to delete any apps.

Camera kit + ifile is a no brainer.