Why Jailbreak?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by shakeman0, May 23, 2010.

1. shakeman0 macrumors 6502a

shakeman0

I was thinking about jailbreaking my iPod Touch. What are the reasons for doing it? Does it really open up a lot of possibilities for the device? Can my Mac get a virus from the software? Would having the jail breaking software on my computer conflict with my iPad that I do not want to jailbreak?

Thanks,

2. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

It doesn't open that many possibilities, at least not specifically for the iPod touch. A few of my friends jailbreak their iPhones for WiFi tethering, which is currently not allowed in the U.S. because of AT&T. There is not much point in jailbreaking the iPad because there is not much you can do with it unless you have the 3G model and want WiFi tethering. People haven't written many iPad specific apps for Cydia yet.

With a jailbreak, you can install emulators, themes (99% of which are horrid) and apps that Apple has not allowed in the App Store. It allows you to customize app icons as well. You can also install cracked versions of apps which is illegal because it's considered stealing. You also lose your warranty if you jailbreak. You have to unjailbreak before going to an Apple Store for a problem or sending it in. It also allows you to "multitask" but in a few weeks, a more elegant solution will be released in iPhone OS 4. I also find that jailbreaking slows down the device in general. My friend's jailbroken iPhone 3G is super slow and lags like crazy, while another friend's iPhone 2G is noticeably faster and has less lag.

The jailbreaking software will not conflict with your iPad and you won't get a virus. Jailbreaking opens the device so you can do whatever you want with it. It removes all of Apple's restrictions, most of which is put in place for your safety/security/stability of the device.

3. Tikker macrumors newbie

when "spirit" came out, I JB my touch. the main thing I was interested in was tethering it to my cell via bluetooth

it worked ok, but introduced a ton of instability to everything else on the ipod

i've since restored to official firmware, and won't bother to look at a jailbreak again until well after os4 comes out

4. secretasiantman macrumors newbie

contrary to what is is said above, I think that its worth it. When you jailbreak, you root your device, which opens it up to tons of customization and numerous programs from cydia which make it much more useful. Multitasking anyone? My ipod touch has not gotten any slower since I jailbroke, and I find it hard to use other peoples ipods that are not jail-broken now.
    of course you could just wait until iphone os 4 comes out, but I say go for it :D

5. kd5jos macrumors 6502

kd5jos

Root

In the computer security work I do, the first rule is, "Don't use root!" What that means is, give yourself a limited "daily user" account. If something stupid happens, it only happens to that user. By using root daily, you could inadvertently destroy the entire system.

If something isn't working, root your system and fix it. If there is nothing you loose by using the iPhone the way you buy it (functional) then accept it for what it is and use it.

If something breaks, by all means, jailbreak the thing and fix it. If you can't fix it by jailbreaking it, send it to Apple so they can. If you have to be "1337" get an Android and leave the iPhone for connoisseurs.

6. tflournoy95 macrumors 6502

yeah connoisseur is a synonym for expert. so really the "1337" people would be the connoisseurs.

7. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

anybody bricked there ipod, im thinking about jailbreaking mine(when i get one) but it sounds sorta difficult, and it might brick the ipod
    btw when for all the people who dont know, you change your springboard when your itouch or ipod touch or whatever is jailbroken, fyi thats one of the main reasons that people jailbreak them, that or you can categorize your apps. (again for all you people that dont know, the springboard is the background of the screens that have your apps, if that made sense)

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I am glad someone has finally asked this question. I have been meaning to for the last 3 years when jailbreaking first began.

I can finally take solace now that it has been asked so I can learn about the benefits to jailbreaking:)

Thanks OP!

1) No, you can not brick it
    2) Difficult? You literally just click a button. How is that hard?

9. mrhappyface2010 macrumors newbie

mrhappyface2010

Use spirit its the best ever http://www.spiritjb.com/ plug in ipod then click jailbreak then wait for reboot but don't unplug or quit spirit untill ipod is at lock screen! u don't lose any files!

10. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

really? ive heard alot of accounts of people bricking their ipod

it just matters what button it is;), im still not sure.

11. Dale Sorel macrumors 6502a

Dale Sorel

As long as you have a backup in iTunes you can't "brick" an iPod touch.

12. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

backup what?

sorry, no experience with any of this

13. Dale Sorel macrumors 6502a

Dale Sorel

Hook your iPod up to your computer, select the iPod icon on the left of the iTunes window, then select the Sync button in the lower left of the iTunes window.

14. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

hmmmmmm... i still dont think its worth it:rolleyes:, i dont think its that big of a deal, especially cause im gonna get ipod touch 4g, and the main reason i was gonna get it jailbroken was for the springboard and app folders.

15. Dale Sorel macrumors 6502a

Dale Sorel

One way or the other, if you've got an iPod touch you need to know how to work iTunes.

16. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

Is there alot of complexity? If there isnt I think I can handle it. :D

I guess if not I could just ask someone else. Thanks