General Why JB Protection

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by cclloyd, Oct 20, 2012.

1. cclloyd macrumors 68000

cclloyd

What is the purpose of developers putting JB detection into their apps? How does it benefit them at all? Or are they rewarded by apple for putting it in?

2. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

If they tested explicitly for piracy tools (e.g., looking for A**S***), I could understand them. But why not run on a device of a legit(!) jailbreaker without any pirated software - this is what I can't udnerstand. After all, iOS is far less usable without jailbreaking: f.lux to make the screen's white balance much better and warmer, Quasar, Safari Full Screen, mouse support, Skype / screen recorders, Springtomize, WebOffline, Infinidock, Airblue Sharing, being able to use external storage cards as true storage memory from AppStore apps etc. All that would be non-existing without JB.

3. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

Jailbroken it is easier to rip copyrighted content from it and ofcourse you can run pirated apps.

4. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

I run 9 jailbroken broken devices that are legit.
    I used to run pirated software but it got to be a pain in the butt.
    I think in the last 2 years we may have spent $150 in the apps store.

5. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

Yup, the vast majority of my (several) iDevices are also JB'n. JB has too many advantages like the apps listed above (most importantly, f.lux, of course. Couldn't live without it.)

----------

You mean ripping data files? It's possible on non-JB'n devices (iExplorer, Phone Disk etc.) too. Or, direct screen recording via Screen Recorder to, say, record video footage only meant for streaming? It's not powerful / fast enough (you can't record footage with more than, say, 8-10 fps). An external, (nowadays cheapish, $200-$300) 1080i30 HDMI recorder is far-far better suited for that task, and it works with non-JB'n devices too.

6. cclloyd thread starter macrumors 68000

cclloyd

You can run pirated apps without jb now, so that is nullified. The ONLY thing I could think of here would be to stop piracy of iAPs.

7. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

i said easier, not that it is only possible on JB